Bridgeport Question

On the top of a 2-J head, there is a "Speed change pivot stud". (code #

2180074 in the book) It has a lock nut on it. Is this an adjustment and how is this adjustment set?
Reply to
Tom Gardner

It is adjusted so that the speed is correct when adjusted to its maximum (I think 4200 Rpm). Then the dial is loosened and set to read this speed correctly. The speed dials are not terribly accurate but I do not know just what the accuracy is.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Thats a fine tuner for the vari-drive. It moves the separation open and closed a bit. Way to set is to dial it to 1000 rpm, read with tach, loosen lock nut and turn with screw driver to turn to dial speed.

This of course assuming the dial chain and so forth is in good shape.

Just turn it until the belt wont come off the vari drive and leave it alone

Gunner

Gunner

I don't need no stinking dial! I use my "Smoke Color / Speed Chart" ($9.95 - Visa/MC)

The new BP is finally in it's home and running...holds half a thou. (no left-over parts!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bravo! Do you need sun glasses when running it? Those mirror polished and chrome plated parts......

Gunner

Gunner

I did get a few comments along the lines of having WAY too much time and being a tad anal. Sound like anybody you know?

I had to go in today to make parts for a wire feed. I'm going to have to learn how to mill all over again. The BP actually does what the dials say. No shims, no shake, no chatter, no sneaking up on a number. I'm f****ng lost! This is almost no fun.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Da li! Hai! Tho says to tell you hello.

Im sure youll adjust

Stick a DRO on it.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

I have a new "Uniq" DRO for it, just haven't had the time to install it. I've been plagued with little problems with the new machine's wire feed designed and built by Roger. Wednesday, I finally succumbed to the conclusion that his design has a fatal, unrepairable flaw and has to be scrapped. It has a .010" accumulative error. Oh, well. His ego can take it.

Don't laugh about my having to learn how to use a mill, it used to be such an adventure that required such careful planning, compromise and compensation that I WILL have to rethink and learn to do things differently. It'll take a while to get used to it. Then add the DRO and I'll really be lost.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oh I well know the experience. Since I started out with junk...hummm junq ..and evolving upwards to better and better machines..the Adventure of Running the Machine is getting less and less. Though this now gives me more time to actually Make stuff.

I guess its a trade off, no longer doing extensive planning on how to work around the limitations of a crap machine and designing a part around those limitations..to building something properly and having the machine simply become a reliable tool with which to make something. Like a hammer..you can devote more time to getting nails driven, after you removed that pesky 45 degree slant to the face of the hammer.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Like my experience in 1973, driving a borrowed '54 Chevy pickup with

98,000 miles on it (third time around), down a two lane gravel road. Luckily there was no traffic, and I managed to stay out of both the bean field and the drainage canal. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yep, just like that! It wouldn't have been fun in a new car, and you wouldn't have learned first hand, the laws of physics.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm with Gunner,

I have a .0005 reading Mitutoyo on my BP... It'll blow you away to do .0005 accurate SQUARE holes... :-))

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August