Bridgeport/Romi EzTrak lathe servo

Hello, all,

We have a Bridgeport/Romi EzPath lathe at work that has a "rumble" in the Z axis servo. I tweaked some pots on the servo amp and got it to quiet down so that the machinist is real happy with it, but I think it could be better. First, I have no idea what those pots do, as the labels are beyond cryptic. There are 3 pots there, VC, BL and CC. I'm guessing that maybe VC is velocity loop compensation, and CC is current loop compensation. This machine has the SEM motors typical on the Bridgeport machines, and drives the leadscrew by a coarse toothed belt. I'm wondering if the belt is wearing or needs the tension adjusted?

Anyone have a servo adjustment procedure for these? (It has the servo amps that are roughly 4" square boards mounted on a bent piece of metal, with the power transistors mounted on the bent part. No sign of a manufacturer or model number on them.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

============= Ancient wisdom says "if it works *DON'T* f*** with it.

Updated version is "the better is the enemy of the good."

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Indeed.

Im a machine tool tech by trade. And I make money on machines that had someone with a screwdriver and far too much time on their hands.

Unless you know Exactly what you are doing...as George said so eloquently..dont f*ck with it. If you got it running without a rumble. (probably loop gain)...count your blessings and dont go for the gold.

Though..I could sure use the work.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

On an old Acroloc, we had a rumble in "Y". Solved it by cleaning the tachometer brushes. They were at the rear of the drive motor. Ten years ago. Memory fades...

Beege

Reply to
Beege

Well, I've never been inside an SEM motor, so I don't know what sort of tach brushes they use in there. I'm pretty sure it is a traditional DC brush tach. The silver wire brushes usually don't need any attention until the completely wear in two, and then cleaning won't be much use. Cleaning them before that point would require nothing harder than a stream of alcohol, as the wires are hair thin.

This one definitely sounds like a servo loop problem, and the Bridgeport guy has been out several times at $500 a pop to do the same thing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well, since I designed and built my own PWM velocity servo amps, I do have some familiarity with the conventional velocity servo. (My amps have NINE adjustable pots on them, which makes them a bit of a nightmare. Three sounds a lot better.) We definitely feel it is better, and he will probably not be bothered by surface finish issues until the damn vibration comes back in a few months. I was hoping to get some experience from other users of the same machine, as it seems to be a fairly popular model. If we have to retension the toothed belt, or even replace it every year, that won't be a problem. But, I'd like to know if there is a stated procedure for that. (I don't have a good feel for how much radial load the SEM motors are comfortable with.) Obviously, if this keeps needing adjusting in the same direction, we are compensating for SOME change in the system, probably mechanical. Maybe it is the wearing-in of the Z ballscrew, as the preload decreases, the friction, and therefore the damping, decreases, and the loop tends toward less stability.

Well, I think the travel time would be a problem. You're in California, IIRC. We're in St. Louis, MO. Also, if you don't know this machine, the manual information supplied by Bridgeport is a joke. There is a wiring diagram. That's IT! It was enough for me to figure out which servo amp was the Z axis, that's all I was able to get from it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson