Foster Lathes?

Found a $200 lathe in the Bakersfield Craigslist...one Ive never seen before. Rather interesting machine. Contacted the owner..he sent me more pictures..lable says it was manufactured by Foster. Overhead drive..tiny little tailstock..very wide cross slide. Looks top heavy as hell

Owners tag said it was owened by the Fruhoff Co...which moved out of Bakersfield in the mid 80s.

Anyone heard of Foster?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Btw...thats a Foster #5

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

It's Australian for "lathe".

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

Reply to
wayne mak

Foster got shot in washington.

John

Reply to
john

I have a Foster #5. It is a turret lathe. I have had it for 5 years or so and haven't installed it yet. Just now finishing the shop where it will live. From your description of the tailstock, it sounds as though some intermediate owner tried to convert it to a "regular" lathe. I thought of this, too, but decided to keep it as a turret lathe and to tool it up as such to some degree. I think I have some pix, if you are interested.

The company went through a couple of levels of buy outs. Afew years ago I could have told you the family tree, but for all intents and purposes, the company is gone. I don't know how much other good I can be to you on this, but feel free to email me off-list at snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Thanks Pete. Ill forward you the pictures

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:26:51 GMT, Gunner penned the following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

No.

But, a little research leads me to:

Gilman Engineering and Manufacturing Company Division of Giddings and Lewis

305 W. Delevan Drive Janesville, WI 53545

Give me more info and a Lot Number and I'll give you year of manufacture....

(Note: some items seem to be british in manufacture.)

Reply to
Gene Kearns