Picked up a sheldon lathe today

I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure what collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be better built than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some pictures in the coming weeks.

Reply to
wayne mak

Please!

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

I have a Sheldon lathe and a fair number of documents. Let me know if you need information.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

wayne mak wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
wayne mak

I don't know what level of info you are looking for.

see: sku 21052 -- 2nd item down http://www.l>If you have any information that would be great. These are 10" swing. I

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I'm still trying to figure out what one of them wreighs. 10x24, circa

1960 with the 2 handle > I have a Sheldon lathe and a fair number of documents.
Reply to
RoyJ

It just so happens that those are the two lathes I have an opportunity to purchase(but probably won't due to their weight).

Nevertheless, for informational purposes, can you confirm the approximate weight of these lathes?

The first is a Sheldon EL 46 P for $560.(It has a 10" swing, 3 jaw, dead center, tool holder, some reamers, dog plate, a few dogs, a 3 phase motor, and a quick change box for power feed/threading. It is a "lightly used" machine that came out of a high school.(I'm told it is

800lbs)).

The second is a South Bend Heavy 10L for $400.(It would need a serious clean up, paint job, one gear, tailstock, and the crossfeed handle replaced.(I'm told it is 900lbs)).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7