Acme Nut sources for Verticle mill

The next project on my winter agenda..is to fix the combination mill I dragged home a year ago..

Its badged Hales..your typical 2/3 sized vertical kinda sorta BP clone miller with a horizontal spindle under the ram. Pretty sweet footprint and a machine Im going to keep for myself. R8 in both spindles..power feeds..the works. The machine was set up with an air actuated slide bolted to the t-slots. Load the part..press a button. the sub slide would traverse across a milling cutter. So the table was seldom every used, and according to the previous owner..the horizontal spindle was never used..

But..someone nailed the end of the slide with a forklift..and drove the lead screw through the bronze acme nut, which is a double or split nut. Didnt harm the machine or the lead screw..but scrubbed out the threads on the flange type adjustable acme nut.

Lead screw diameter is almost 7/8s (.870), with a lead of .200 (. 200 per rev, english dials..yay!...and the screw has a root of .70 as best as I can measure with a dial caliper. Id have thougth the screw was metric..but it comes out to 22.22mm..which is a bastard size..so Id have to guess its 7/8"

Ive got the machinery..but have never cut an acme thread in my life, nor do I have a piece of bronze big enough to make both halves, including the adjustable side with the flange. Unless a new one is prohibitively expensive..Id rather collect pop bottles and buy a new nut assembly.

Anyone got a good CHEAP source for this sort of thing? Most of the places I buy BP parts from..dont have any 7/8" stuff

Thanks

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

footprint

spindles..power

every

Gunner,

Have you considered casting a nut in whitemetal round the exisitng thread. Choose an unworn bit of the thread, smoke it very heavily with an aceylene flame as a release agent building up a layer of soft carbon. Form a dam round the thread in clay and pour your babbit. Split and machine the outside of the nut after casting.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

===================== FWIW -- information on this technique available from

I have all three and these are a good read. I think "Babbit

1910-1916" [first url] has the specific reference to using babbit to rebuild a stripped thread.

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee