small/light ulu/mezzaluna knife

This has metal so it shouldn't be completely OT. My 92 yo mother is in a nursing home and has trouble eating unless the food is cut up a lot (not many teeth left). She is too frail to handle a regular knife and it's hard to get the staff to cut things up for her. My thought was that maybe she could handle a small light ulu/mezzaluna knife, which is like a sharp brass nuckles and cuts by rocking the highly curved blade.

My question is where to find a small light version for her to try to see if it works. SS would obviously be best, doesn't have to be razor sharp. Any clues on sources or knife discussion groups would help. I tried google but most of the stuff there was way too big and heavy, I need something small and light for a frail person.

Reply to
Nick Hull

There are many such knives sold in kitchen supply stores. The small ones are sold for chopping herbs, and come with a dished wooden cutting board. I saw one last Saturday. I bet a google would turn up 100,000 sources.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Also check with home medical supply stores in their ADL (Aids to Daily Living) sections. Where I do part-time wheelchair repairs they have racks full of adaptive kitchenware and eating aids.

If you can't find one close, email me and I'll get pricing, etc. for you.

Reply to
John Husvar

Oops! Deleted a little too much. Sorry.

Message was intended for Nick Hull's information.

Reply to
John Husvar

Wal-Mart has a small Ulu in kitchen wares. About 410 Karl

Reply to
everyman