Camillus knife

Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. All metal. Has Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. US on one side, with a stamped metal pattern. Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can opener. Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. It's in great shape, and ones from that year are selling on ebay for about $20. I put it in my trophy case next to some other military knives. It would make a great pocket knife, but I think I'll keep it in the case. Guess they were used a lot in Nam. Anyone have experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

Reply to
SteveB

I don't know whether the military ever issued these knives but they were quite common some years back. Had one in fact. I don't remember why I got rid of it, or whether I lost it, but looking at the picture I had a vague recollection that it was not one of my favorite pocket knives.

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

I have a Nam era non folding Camillus knife ,it has a leather pouch with a small sharpening stone on it . The blade has "blood Grooves " each side and a saw on the back edge . The saw will cut metal as I have done it . It's has two small holes in the guard and a hexagon shaped knob on the end of the leather bound handle. Looks like it may have even been a bayonet for some type of rifle . On the blade near the guard it has Camillus N.Y. stampedon .

My Uncle brought it back from Nam late 60's , was swapped with a US soldier for some other item . He gave it to me and I still have it . Not sure if it was military issue or not.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

It's an aviation survival knife, issued to aircrew of all services at the time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Bob ,thanks for the info ,wasnt real sure .I do recall my Uncle saying something about it regarding aircrew.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:44:12 -0700, the infamous "SteveB" scrawled the following:

I've seen and played with them, and I think whittled with one, but I never owned one. A buck is a good price.

My hiking knife is this:

I think I gave $9, dlvd. I keep it in case I get stranded on a yacht sometime.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Gunner Asch" wrote

I like knives, and this one caught my eye. It's going in my kit on my ATV.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Add a Leatherman or Gerber multitool and you will be good to go.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves, but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post, listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02 worth."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Actually, I have an off brand one that comes in a snakeskin belt holder. Seems like good metal, as it hasn't bent or broken anything yet. I like it much better because it comes with those bits for different screws. I never saw a Leatherman that had a straight screwdriver tip or a Phillips head that wasn't trashed. This one, the bits pop in and out. I have given some to friends, and they all love them. I did manage to save two for myself.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB