Buying metal

Dixie, this is not a cheap sport. You have to do the leg work yourself.... and then, who will you tell?????///.

> for the kind of stuff I need. I figured I might be able to buy everything at

Reply to
larsen-tools

Hello, I had a quick question about buying metal. I live in Atlanta, GA and there don't seem to be any small order-friendly metal shops around here. I only do little project from time to time using steel. I've found some stuff at Home Depot, but it seems a little pricey for steel (specifically 1/2"-1" square tubing), I've checked on E-Bay and found what seem like good deals (i.e.

for the kind of stuff I need. I figured I might be able to buy everything at once from them and maybe save on shipping. Does this seem like an ok idea, or should I just try to go to home depot for what I need? Well any help would be appreciated. Just in case it matters, I just do basic stick welding (AC) on a really old Craftsmen welder. I tried buying a cheap MIG welder from Harbor Freight, but that was just money wasted. Thanks again.

-Zipper

Reply to
Zipper

I am in Macon and buy from Speedy Metals all the time. They have or can get almost anything and have it to you in 3 or 4 days. Prices are good, WAY below most other internet sources, shipping is at cost and no cutting charge. I have ordered mild steel, ground and polished rod, stainless, brass and bronze. They use eBay basically as advertising. If you can't find what you need listed call them and they will get it for you.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

"Zipper" wrote: (clip) there don't seem to be any small order-friendly metal shops around here. (clip)Well any help would be appreciated. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ It sounds like your approach is similar to mine--build what you can out of what you can find. I go to a nearby recycling center, and also keep my eyes open for fabrication shops what have a scrap bin. If you can establish a friendly relationship with a fabrication shop, you will be amazed what is available free or cheap.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

i get stuff at a scrap yard i bought 900 lbs of galvanize before it went bad

Reply to
HaroldA102

Ditto- the biggest problem is acquiring too much free steel! In the category of almost free, steel stock at auctions is quite often dirt cheap unless exotic alloys/metals are involved and the scrap guys are all over it.

Reply to
ATP

The best thing if looking for small amounts is find metal fabricators, not metal suppliers. (phone book).

Stop by their place with cash in your pockets. But dress properly or they will not let you in their place to go thru the scrap piles. What I am saying is have your safety glasses, wear work boots, blue jeans, work shirt, and work gloves. Don't show up with a pair of shorts and halter top with flip flops. Common sense they don't want you to get hurt and bleed all over. Bring a container like a five gallon bucket for the small stuff.

Tell them you want to buy some of their cut offs or scraps. Take the money out of your pocket like a $10 bill and say how much can I get for this?

Usually the guy will slip the bill in his pocket and lead you to the scrap.

If there is special sizes you need let them know and be willing to pay. Ask if you can come back again.

Reply to
Warren Townsend

Thanks for all the help, I'll try your suggestions, thanks again.

-Zipper

Zipper

I can't find a web site. Is eBay their only online access? Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt