Can't do this on a 4x6

A 31" long 45 degree beveled cut thru 2" A36 plate. The alternative was to mill off about 15 pounds of material. Gotta love the cable feed on that 1945 DoAll. The last pic shows the completed part with an Ampco metal wear edge welded into a pocket. The 45 on the bronze was also sawed after welding. The part goes on a hot rolling mill.

Ned Simmons

Superbly done!! Bravo Sir!..Im humbled by that.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nice job Ned. Saws are WAY faster than mills.

I just did a slitting type operation with my roll-in saw, similar to what you did. On this unit, you have to clamp up the part and let the saw gravity feed about nine inches and then reclamp. Looks like you got a better machine for the job.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

How is the cable fed? In the past I've used a large Marvel saw and I think that the table was fed by screws driven by a slip clutch that you could adjust. On the Marvel the table stayed flat and the saw traveled and could be angled. Your DoAll looks to be in great shape given its age!

Reply to
Denis G.

How long did the cut take?

Saw a multi-page advertising blurb in a WWII-era machining magazine about all the cuts that could be done with the DoAll that left usable offcuts that could be then used for other things, not the case when milling stuff out. Niftiest one was making a die by drilling, threading a cut blade through and then rewelding the blade. The cut- out slug then became the punch. Also replaced forgings for auto- cannon with welded-up bits cut by DoAlls. Save hundreds of pounds of steel for each one that way.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

What does the part do?

Every vertical band saw I've ever used had a drift angle. Your pictures look like yours tracks fairly straight. What, if any drift angle, does your saw tend to have?

I had an instructor that said more than once that the bandsaw and drill press can be very efficient machines when removing metal. In the case of drill press, think chain drilling. I've put in a day or so using a portamag to open up an opening before.

Wes

Wes

Very awesome!!

Why is the floor so clean??

Reply to
Steve Walker

There's a cast iron weight suspended from a pivoting bar. The cable is routed thru a pulley on the end of the bar. The handwheel visible down low in the second photo moves the weight along the bar to adjust the cable tension.

Though it was in fine mechanical condition when I got it, it looked like someone had painted it with tan latex house paint on top of 40 years worth of grease. The paint was peeling off in big strips.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

A bit more than an hour for the actual cut. Probably another 1-1/2 hours futzing to get the setup right.

DoAll published a couple small hardcover books around that time that show lots of those operations. They're available pretty cheaply on ebay.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It's a transition piece between the lower mill roll and the outfeed table. Part of a much larger project I'm finishing up.

Virtually none once you get the feed right. That cut was flat to better than .030 over the entire surface. I watched the whole cut because I was concerned about chips lifting the part off the table or guide, but I never had to intervene.

The saw's upper wheel and adjustable guide are mounted with a rather unique arrangement of coaxial clamping/jacking screws that allow alignment with the lower guide as close as your patience allows. Getting them very close is worth the effort.

Yeah, milling that corner off would not have been too bad with a big horizontal mill. But I was in no mood to stand in a shower of blue chips for half a day doing it on my vertical.

Reply to
Ned Simmons