Can thermal shock crack cast iron?

My friend Greg and I were yakking at lunch the other day. The conversation came around to the subject of breaking glass or ceramic cookware by thermal shock. (Get it really hot and toss it in cold water, etc...) We decided that was yet another reason that cast iron cookware is nice.

But then we thought about it some more, (Wierd stuff usually transpires when Greg & I get thinking) and wondered if it WOULD be possible to break cast iron by thermal shock. We figured that it would take pretty extreme conditions but that it might just barely be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts or anecdotes on the matter?

/*********************************************************************/ Jim Wygralak Public key at

OpenPGP (gpg) signed messages get a free ride past my spam filters. Bumperstickers for your coffee cup:

darus

Yes if genuine cast iron.

No it does not take extreme conditions. A cast iron frypan into cold water is all it takes.

Reply to
marks542004

Hell, yes!

That is the reason for the admonition not to add water to an overheated engine unless it is running. You can most definitely crack cast iron by immersion in water. In fact, you can crack it by simply heating it too fast. I toasted a forge pan that way.

vtuck

snipped-for-privacy@visi.com () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Yes, you can break most things with heat/cold.....Delta T (change in temperature) What actually goes on is, the change in temperature pulls the material apart. If the delta T is enough, as one section/layer/area cools, it shrinks, when this shrinkage pull becomes greater than the strength of the material itself, it pulls apart. If I remember my physics correctly.

Reply to
Anthony

Did that to a cast iron griddle once when I was young and trying to cook something. Was really hot and cracked clean across--managed to set the contents on fire and tossed it in the sink to put it out. My mother was _not_ amused.

Another lesson--if you run water into hot steel or aluminum pan sometimes the bottom will develop a curvature and the pan won't sit flat anymore.

Reply to
J. Clarke
Öx?UR=sÛ0 Ýù+0¹?#]?'?»\¯C²tÈЦ ?6È$hÕK{A¹ö]GOï?X?èÓ{ß#¦#­?æ$J;÷^V?6¾²è@ "å,üðz¸HTfT[VA²EË¸?0!C??4???Ûðrg5J?ª?0?¡£3E???tF-?¹[p?eþb A¡¨¶º??¨Y8? ÂÄîL¬ ý2?1JL Þ,d£6K{3lk£Ì0?òÍ*çEÐEê £*qGô?çZ?d??Lï] !?!BÈàòGêÖPEÉ?xcg?.k?2Ð,?LOf¦?^?§5X¸HØe°>÷%YjÓ^ûÚ3BO³»fË?.do¾?°æ?ÝýQ?\õY®õ[°xª ?£?kS I??¬?Úy¢\¢¢­#úcÅäQìØ.àFl¤s?{Ó,©º©ÿ?i+ùé?ìàT??L¿'òJ7µ?1L?ýýï2>>*ÁÎ ª?m·ÛæqÛl¿6??öÏA?/µýáÒ¦Oç?û ?¯þ#
Reply to
Jon Danniken

Without chasing the link, I'm gonna hazard a guess that you ended up with a two-piece pan (and although you say "unexpected", I coulda told ya that without trashing the cookware - It's simple physics in action.)

Reply to
Don Bruder

I shudder to think what happens to one of those "sandwich" pans that has an aluminum core between two steel surfaces.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So what happened? I cannot tell from the picture.

Lodge (maker of cast iron cookware) warms about heating or cooling their stuff too fast as it may crack. I heat my griddle slowly as it's fairly large and can take a while to heat up at the edges.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That dimple just above the Ecko is convex in that perspective, projecting about 1/2" from the normal plane. It recovered with a few well placed blows (with the interior braced on a post), but it was kind of funny how it popped out like that (at least to me).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken