Cutting cast iron

I need to cut some iron castings. What can I do, perhaps with a special welding rod or 6010?

I need to cut some iron castings. What can I do, perhaps with a special welding rod or 6010?
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:54:01 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus10918 wrote:

How thick?
What about -Arcair?
Dan

It is at a scrap jobsite. I would buy do not have enough air there. It has electricity however, soif I can find welding ros that can cut cast iron, I would be golden.
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:51:49 -0500, Ignoramus10918

I've never used them but you might try http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Welding/Maintenance-and-Repair/Cut-Rod.aspx
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:51:49 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus10918 wrote:

If it has electricity then surely you could take a compressor there. You will be a lot better off getting an arc air torch and a compressor. Ernie o ught to weigh in here, but I think you would be way ahead of using welding rods to cut by using] arcair even if you have to buy a compressor and torch .
Easy for me to say as I am not doing the job.
Dan

Ig, Depending upon the web thickness a good hard recip blade works wonders.
Lloyd
On 2014-06-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

These are 1-2 inch castings

That's not even a small cut, Ig. I frequently modify Chinese arbor presses for my clients. Some of the 3-ton jobs have areas thicker than that (though not many... they _really_ skimp on the webs).
What won't fit on my big bandsaw gets the Milwaukee treatment. They cut like butter.
Lloyd
On 6/19/2014 4:54 PM, Ignoramus10918 wrote:

Explosives!

ACtually, Ig.... he's not far from right.
One of the most valuable tools for 'cutting' thin sections of cast iron (and you have thin sections) is a BFH.
A ten-pound sledge in the hands of a strong fellow can make a small pile of chunks out of a big casting in a matter of minutes.
Lloyd
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:11:00 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Indeed. Watch a plumber disassemble old cast iron DWV pipes.

Then it's not 'cast iron'. Maybe cast semi-steel.
Lloyd
On 2014-06-20, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I think that it is cast iron, but very high quality. It is a base frame for a Miehle printing die cutter. The reason why I want to break it is that it is too big to fit into a scrap trailer.
The entire machine weighs 25,000 lbs. We took and broke off a lot of pieces, but the main frame of it also needs breaking down.
The casting is ribbed smartly and is 1-2 inches thick.
I have right now a hydraulic attachment (concrete breaker) for a bobcat. Since I have a S300 bobcat, I can try to see if this attachment would also break cast iron.
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 20:18:01 -0500, Ignoramus10918

Could be malleable or ductile cast iron. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleable_iron http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:51:09 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Or nodular cast iron.
Dan

http://www.meehanitemetal.com/htmlpages/whats_diff.html ? -jsw

It may be something like that. It was, at some point, a very expensive printing die cutter. It probably was in service for 50 years. It was very expensively made.
Just wondering out loud here, but would one of those electric breaker hammers or jack hammers with a chisel bit work to break up cast iron (ignoring the question of whether Iggy has cast iron or not)? I've got to replace a cast iron tub and I'm not that great with a sledgehammer :-).
----- Regards, Carl Ijames "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

ACtually, Ig.... he's not far from right.
One of the most valuable tools for 'cutting' thin sections of cast iron (and you have thin sections) is a BFH.
A ten-pound sledge in the hands of a strong fellow can make a small pile of chunks out of a big casting in a matter of minutes.
Lloyd

People, please, this is for sure cast iron. It is quality and tough cast iron.
Cast iron is not like concrete and I do not think that you can dig into it like you do with a small breaker and concrete. It does not crumble, but it can be smashed. At large scrap yards, they break cast iron machines with huge hydraulic breakers mounted on excavators, or drop them on hard surfaces, lifting them with a grapple attachment.
I will try to use a Bobcat-mounted atlas copco concrete breaker, and wet 6010 rod. I need to learn to cut cast iron efficiently.