Can this be run on single phase?

am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html
It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring inside the motor. This unit came from a business.
Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would like to know what you think.
If it will work, how much is it worth?
Add pictures here
✖

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor capable of supplying that much air.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 15, 6:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I am trying. I need about 20 cfm.
Add pictures here
✖
[...]

Or a smaller sandblaster.
Add pictures here
✖

    Hmm ... the phrase "Rotary Transformer" is another term for "rotary converter" -- one way to generate three phase from single phase.

    It should be all that you need to get it running, assuming you have 240 VAC single phase available.
    The nameplate photo is to heavily jpegd to allow me to make out the voltage -- or the current. But you will probably need 50% more current than the nameplate current to run it.

    That makes sense.
    Good luck,         DoN.
✖

I have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage. The guy said he would take
1000 for it. Or, I can buy a harbor freight with a gas engine for the
✖

It's not worth anywhere near $1000. $250 would be closer, if you can see it run.

I have a single phase 5HP IR T-30 similar to the one in the ad. I think I paid $350 for it at auction 15 years ago.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
✖
stryped wrote:

5 hp 110V would use around 34A so it's very likely that compressor 5hp rating is the fictitious hp that got the US compressor sellers in a class action suit for misrepresentation, it's been mentioned on RCM often. IIRC the normal 110V supply goes to 15A in the US. Likely the real hp is around 1 to 1.5. In the UK where I now live we have 240V 13A mains wall sockets and the maximum you can normally run from that is a true 3hp compressor. Years ago I was told a good rule of thumb for compressors was 4cfm per hp so that would give you a minimum true 5hp requirement for your 20cfm, more would be better.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 16 May 2010 16:59:12 +0100, David Billington

Gotta remember, those are sears ponies - the miniature type. operative phrase - It just doe snot cut it. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Add pictures here
✖

Where do you live?
Gunner, with a 10hp Curtis for sale, cheaper than that rig.
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/ForSale#5381831492893267298
--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
✖

It looks like it has a rotary phase converter, should work on single phase. Maybe you could look at it and compare the price of that compressor versus a 20CFM similar new compressor. Also consider if you plan to leave the compressor on all the time, the rotary phase converter will probably have to run the entire time the compressor is on, unless somehow it only runs the converter when it needs air. You could always watch eBay for a drive to do single to do single to 3 phase, the advantage would be to not need to run the converter all the time.
RogerN
Add pictures here
✖