Can you solder copper to 1018 steel?

Can you solder copper to 1018 steel or do you have to do something (i.e., plate) it first?

Thanks for any help, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Ya, use some acid flux or acid-core solder on the steel and it'll go easy.

Tim

Tim Williams

Brazing would be better, but they can be soldered together. Both metals have to be clean. It seems to take more heat to join the solder to the steel than to the copper (anyone know why?), so it might be easier to "tin" (a blob of solder to) the steel first. Use flux. I have an old can of acid flux that works well, but I don't know if it's available anymore.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson