Carbide scrap -- inserts and end mills

I have two small piles -- scrap end mills and scrap carbide inserts.
I would like to know if any people here make some custom tools by
recutting or regrinding carbide inserts or end mills. I want to know if it is worth keeping some of them, or not.
There are no hidden gems there, for sure. Broken ends, stems, and chipped inserts. I sorted through about 20 lbs of stuff. Everything good or merely possibly usable was sorted into different piles.
I have a diamond wheel that mounts on my 1/2 HP motor and has diamonds on the outer rim. So i could possibly make some edges, not for milling, but maybe for something else, though nothing comes to mind.

Carbide scrap prices are high right now...I suggest the scrap dealer.
--
Anthony

Thanks. My scrapper gives a little less, but he is local and he brings me a lot of neat stuff that I buy from him and save from his scrap furnace and sell or use. (if anyone needs 3 HP VFD's or metering pumps, let me know)

Iggy, give me more info in the VFD. I have 3 phase from the utility company but am considering a VFD for speed control on my lathe.
Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

These are VFDs in stainless enclosures, see pictures at the end of my temporary picture dump
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/
2.2 means 2.2 kW, or 3 HP.
One enclosure already has a built in potentiometer, others do not, but you can use the keypad or add your own pot.
I have not tried them, but I will at least power them up prior to selling. I have a guy coming tonight who may want to get some (and have me install the one he buys).
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:11:16 -0500, Ignoramus31292

Id be interested as well
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Iggy, I re-use small carbide endmills by grinding a point on them. They make very nice scribers.
--Winston <--Slowly emerging from the 'quotes too much' blacklist

Sounds like a great idea. i have about 6 lbs of scrap carbide, I will make a small selection "to regrind some day", maybe 1 lb or so.
Winston wrote:

If you have a diamond wheel you can regrind the endmills to a spade point and use them to remove broken taps and other hard stuff broken off in a hole... Run them as fast as you can.
Another use is in a fabricated carbide boring bar. Make a bar or get a piece of axle round stock and drill a cross hole in the end to fit the carbide. Cross drill and tap a hole to lock in the carbide with a set screw. Grind the carbide to the shape of your choice. A flat ground on the carbide to match the setscrew hole will hold the carbide tight.
John
There is a recurring ad in Shotgun News by somebody offering $7/lb. for scrap carbide. If I can find his ad I'll post the phone number.
Steve
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 00:54:56 -0500, Ignoramus5083

If you are a woodworker, or know any of them, you can turn small-diameter carbide end mills into scraper burnishers. A burnisher is a smooth hard rod that is rubbed along the edge of a scraper while pressing hard to create a small sharp "burr" on the scraper edge. This is what actually does the cutting when you use the scraper. The burnisher needs to be harder than the scraper itself, and carbide rod certainly qualifies.
To make a burnisher, get a sturdy handle (wood will do, but you could also turn a metal handle), and drill a hole that just clears the end mill. Make it deep enough that all of the remaining cutting edges (if any) are buried in the handle, leaving only the smooth end mill shaft sticking out. Glue the end mill in place with epoxy or something similar.
    Dave
On Saturday, 23 June 2007 22:54:56 UTC-7, Ignoramus5083 wrote:

As long as I know in USA carbiderecycling.com is well known and trusted so urce to whom anyone will recommend. They are active into the scrap metals dealing since 1980(around If i am not wrong). any one who is looking to sell their scraps must look for carbiderecycling. I have checked their fe edbacks at many websites, the user experiences are awesome (as per the fee dbacks.
Hope will help to those who want's to sell carbide scrap.