carbon steel

I will need to replace the 'cutting' edge on my road drag again soon and would like something longer lasting than the 3/16 mild steel I've
been using. I will use 1/4 on the next one, but would like to try a higher carbon content steel. Machinery handbook lists 1070 or 1080 for plow shares. Would this be able to be welded to mild steel using lincoln inner shield? And would it require hardening to be more abrasion resistant? Or is there some other metal that would work well?
--

Dan H.

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 6, 1:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) wrote:

Try looking at AR steel. AR standing for abrasion resistant. It is a low alloy steel used for dump truck beds, plow shares, etc. Needs to be welded with a low hydrogen welding method. I think Lincoln inner shield qualifies, but ask in Sci.eng.joining.welding. I know that regular gas shielded is low hydrogen.
Dan
Add pictures here
✖

http://hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?p=131980
You might get a good deal on RQC plate if the supplier has a batch that's warped.
jsw
Add pictures here
✖
What's that Lassie? You say that snipped-for-privacy@krl.org fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:55:17 -0700 (PDT):

Thanks. I'll see if i can get that. I can switch over to mig no problem.
--

Dan H.

Add pictures here
✖
dan wrote:

Go visit your local town barn/DPW. Mine tosses out grader/snow plow/dozer edges at least a few times a year. They are usually well worn for the intended use. BUT for the usage that the rest of us would put them through they will last MANY years. I replaced the cutting edge of my 5' back blade with one from a snow blade. The new edge is 3/8" AR steel that I bolted to the blade. Works great and I haven't worn the bevel they wore on it down yet. 5 bucks for the bolts and a case of adult beverage to the crew.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
✖
Steve mentioned using discarded snowplow cutting edges. These are great if you can get them but........
I use a hard surfacing rod on all my smaller snow equipment that gets run on asphalt. About 3 beads wide is all it takes to get 10x life expectancy.
dan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Stellite
Add pictures here
✖
Is it weldable - no Does it need hardening - yes
The suggestion of a high strength wear resistant steel is good, if you can get some in the small quantity you need. The highest hardness types (500 HB) need low hydrogen welding practice and careful control of preheat, you might be better with a mid range type. If you have to go with carbon steel, and have to ask about weldability, I would suggest not going higher than C45. For weld surfacing you might try a 13% chrome hardfacing, it would be more economical than the rather pricy Stellite. If you wanted to try for a very wear resistant welded deposit tungsten carbide would be an option but it is not the easiest thing to put down.

Add pictures here
✖
Where are you located Dan ?
Martin - have AR metal and CNC to cut it. Takes a plasma beam to cut. It is BHN 400 as is.
Martin
dan wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
What's that Lassie? You say that Martin H. Eastburn fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 06 Jun 2009 22:55:36 -0500:

I'm in northeast MA. I have a 30 amp plasma cutter. I will need to fix the 'blade' to the front of a length of 5" channel iron, with about .500" hanging below the edge.
I have pics somewhere. I'll post them in another thread once I resize them and upload them to my account space.
--

Dan H.

Add pictures here
✖