Welding mild steel to stainless

I am making a little holder for an air lubricator (almost no load to be carried) and would like to weld a couple of little bits of mild steel to a stainless bracket (military surplus junk).

My question is, can mild steel be welded to stainless.

Ignoramus1869

Yes. Use 309L filler if you have it.

308L will work OK.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

For something like this MIG using MS wire would be fine.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Is there much difference in this application between 309 and 308? Ive a crapload of 308 that Ive been using for this sort of thing. Am I loosing much in strength etc?

Serious question. What are the negatives of 308 vrs 309?

A last question if I may..I scrounged up about 15 lbs of aluminum filler rod..but tis not marked with an alloy number..just 4 dots..what appear to be diamond shaped. Any idea of what these are? The guy I got em from didnt know either. Ive been using them for simple non load bearing stuff..but it would be nice to know what it really is.

Thanks

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Agreed, I MIG'd a stainless outer on a m/c exhaust using MS. Slapped on some heatproof paint to prevent rusting. 4 years later and it's still fine.

Reply to
Balders

Lots of s/s exhausts are made using ms mig process

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

309 is more compatible with carbon steel. It won't make much difference unless the part is going to undergo a lot of heat cycling. 309 is less prone to micro-fractures.

Well the only way I can think of is to compare physical properties to a known sample.

4043 is pretty soft and easily bent. 5356 is stiffer and hard to bend with your fingers.

If you bounce the rod ends on the floor, 4043 makes a duller sound than

5356.

1100 is pretty rare, but is easy to spot because it is extremely soft and ductile.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ah! Thanks!

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Really? Kewl. I have to fab up an exhaust system for my latest project. Knowing that will be handy, although I shall probably rent a bottle of argon (I use CO2) and buy a reel of s/s

Reply to
Balders

Reply to
RoyJ

If you are building s/s exhaust the finished product will be much more durable if you use M/S wire in your MIG, as this is a lot less likely to crack than s/s.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Which filler rod would be preferred if using TIG to fab SS exhaust?

Reply to
Robert Ball

For stainless to stainless jonts use a rod that matches your base metal

304 SS use 308L filler 316 SS use 316L or 317L filler

Stainless to mild steel use 309L filler.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Best to use m/s for the whole system if failure is critical.....................s/s is a lot more prone to cracking than m/s, and for this reason m/s would be preferable in this applicaction.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Reply to
david Packer