Welding tungsten to stainless

some tooling . SAhe needs some mandrels made that are a piece of tungsten rod welded/brazed to a stainless steel handle . The join is not subject to the full heat of molten glass . Am I right in assuming that a TIG torch set on DCEN will melt and fuse these two metals without filler ? What filler is recommended ? I have on hand 308 309/309l , and some

312 in various sizes . I also have some ER70S2 on hand . She indicates that these must be pretty straight , no wobbles when they are spun or rolled across a flat surface . I'm thinking a long vee block with a cutout in the middle , maybe a spring on one end to keep things pushed together . We're getting into uncharted territory here for me , I'm open to suggestions - that pertain to the task at hand , please .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If you touch your tungsten to either of these metals they seem to fuse rather well to the tungsten. So, I guess welding them would work just as well. They might be rather brittle after welding, so keep it straight to start with, as I don't think it will stand much bending to straighten it out.

Not really knowing at all, I would go with 309 filler, since that's what used for dis-similar metals, if needed at all.

Randy

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

function on my Everlast TIG/stick/spot inverter welder ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Through the years, I have welded stainless to mild steel a number of times. I was told to use a higher chromium content rod than the parent metal, and it has worked OK. DCEN sounds right to me. Personally, I would just TIG weld it. If you could get a scrap of the stainless tube, try a test weld. My experience with welding stainless is that it tends to move around a lot when you heat it.

Good Luck, BobH

Reply to
BobH

afternoon , I'm going to build her a fixture . They are attaching pieces of 1/16" , 1/8" , and 5/32" TIG electrodes to some 5/32" ER316L filler rod pieces . What I will be doing is building them a fixture so they can silver solder their own tooling together .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I was curious how what you were describing worked for beads. I was envisioning the tubes that I see them use at the glass blowing shops, but it didn't make sense for beads. Now it does...

BobH

Reply to
BobH