Welding stainless to mild steel

I have a child bicycle seat made so that a child can ride in a bike behind an adult. This seat has two legs made of steel, that are not long enough to properly fasten to bicycle frame neat the rear axle hub.

I would like to extend this piece and can use 304 stainless. Can I safely weld 304 to mild steel, with E308 filler rod?

Reply to
Ignoramus2756

The dealer told me to use 312 for mild & stainless. This is the job:

flux fumes were irritating.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I found a way to do what I wanted, without welding. It would be a lot better in many respects. But thanks, I will remember it.

Ignoramus2756

To weld stainless to carbon steel you can use basic 308L filler, but the welds may crack over time.

312, and 309 are better choices for dissimilar metals.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have had good luck with 310 for general welding of 'difficult' steels. There was a time when it was quite common to use 310 ss for welding tip shanks on heavy digging buckets as it gave good life under high impact loading.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private