Mig Welding Mild Steel with Stainless Setup?

This is the reverse of the question that usually gets asked. Can I MIG weld mild steel using a set-up for stainless? I have a Lincoln 175+, running

308L or 309L wire with helium tri-mix gas. I don't do enough welding to have the wire cost get prohibitive, so if I don't have to switch gas and wire that will save me some time.

Thanks,

George

Reply to
gglines

Yes you can weld steel with stainless filler, but... The welds will not be as ductile as steel would be. The edges of the welds will corrode faster unless they are painted.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Wire is relatively cheap and has a virtually infinite shelf-life, so long as it stays dry. You can use the gas you have, but it will tend to make for a hotter arc and you need to run at a somewhat lower current setting than you would for the more common argon/CO2 mix used for MIG.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Thanks Ernie & Jerry!