3/8" diameter Round felt

Hi,

I need about two inch long, looks like about 3/8" diameter Round felt to fit into the 9" South Bend head stock oil Reservoir one in the front and a piece of it in the rear bearing if someone has a bit of it, Please contact me on or off list will pay.

Thanks, John snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
csmith96

Sounds rather non-critical. How about any kind of felt you can find locally, rolled up 'till it approximates 3/8" dia? Am I missing something important?

Reply to
xray

Why not go to a local fabric store, buy a piece of felt sheet, cut it into a two inch wide strip, and roll it like a jellyroll until it's roughly 3/8" in diameter, and cut off the excess?

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Regulation of oil flow? I have a SB 10L that I have held off on changing the felt wicks on because I'm not sure what type of round felt to use. McMaster-Carr sells several grades of round felt. I'm not sure what "hard" felt is but McM-C has that and an unspecified grade. I neither want to starve the bearings of oil nor flood them (and be _constantly_ refilling the cups). Since the existing wicks seems to be supplying enough oil I've put the issue on the back burner until someone mentions the type they used with success.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Thanks Artemia,

With you're input I have a feeling that we are getting close to the answer.

Question #1) I am not even sure if it is 3/8" OD. I am hopping that someone has a 9" S/B head open an could measure the oil well hole for us. #2) maybe someone has a manual that gives all these information.

Thanks, John

*********** Artemia Sal>
Reply to
csmith96

Well ... I don't have a South Bend of *any* size. But, from what I have read, I believe that the oil wicks are simply rectangular sections of thick felt (fold a double-length section if necessary which have been stuffed into the oil well. The corners get squished in to conform to the hole size, while the rest of the sides remain relatively uncompressed, so they can wick up the oil.

I don't think that the manuals cover this in this detail. The assumption is that you will pull out the old wicks, and from examination you can tell how to duplicate them.

I know that McMaster Carr sells heavy felt of various thicknesses from which you can cut your own wick.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

3/8"....hummmm sounds like the size of the the "Small" Tampax tampons.

Just a thought. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

Gunner

Gunner

From Parts List, form 900D, section 1(1957); the"capillary Oiler" pat no. AS373N1 appears to be a spring loaded felt rod - no dimensions given, cost $0.30 each. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

The felts are 3/8" round, not sure about the grade though. I saw somewhere that F1 felt should be used. This gets discussed quite regularly on the yahoo group for south bend lathes and most people say to just call up LeBlond and order them at approx $12-14/pair. The yahoo group has the parts diagram if you need it.

Otherwise, I have some 3/8" F2 felt that I used in my SB. Might take me a while to find it but you could have it.

Nate

Reply to
Nate Weber

I decided to get a piece of 3/8" diameter X 12" long Felt (grade F1 which is a harder grade) material 95% wool, from McMaster-Carr. Thanks to all that helped out to reach to this decision. -- John

Reply to
csmith96