1 3/8" BSW socket?

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a 1 3/8" BSW socket. Should be about 2.2" AF. In 3/4" square drive. Anyone got one they want to sell?
Many thanks,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

BSW sockets are quite rare now. You might have better luck with a metric equivalent if one exists. Go for a hex rather than bi-hex and the size is less critical. Assuming tour 2.2" is right, that's either 55mm or 56mm. Both are available on eBay.
John

Or one of those newfangled curvy flank drive jobbies. They are a rattling good fit from new!
--
Tony Brooks
www.TB-Training.co.uk

Jolly good they are too, particularly if your nuts ain't what they used to was ;-)
--

Nick H

Nick H wrote:

I never quite saw the advantage of these over normal hex sockets. They certainly work but so do hex. Of course there's always metrinch. I hate those things. Neither one thing nor the other.
John

Probably got one I could loan, where are you located?
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter A Forbes wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Shropshire. I'm expecting to need the socket several times, so I was inclined to buy one. I might get back to you if I need one soon and can't find one at a reasonable price, though.
Best wishes,
Chris

I don't think I have a duplicate, but I'll check next time I can get inside the workshop!
I'd rather not sell it as like most things, once it's gone you'll be wanting to use it again, and it breaks up the set. 3/4" drive stuff is expensive as it is, especially the big Britool torque wrenches.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter A Forbes wrote:

I quite understand. I was just thinking that perhaps someone out there might, by some stroke of luck, have a duplicate or an odd socket they never use.
Best wishes,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

That stroke may just have arrived! Certainly "odd" socket anyway.! I have a surplus socket of just that size! :)) Free of charge. Except postage/haulage.
BUT !!! The min. wall thickness at hexagon corner of the socket is 15mm, O/A diameter 94mm, 55mm depth, weighs in at 3.1kg. and is 1 1/2" square drive. King Dick No.PDW 2422 . Probably cost an arm and a leg to buy originally, but I bought it at a quarterly farmers' surplus sale with some other bits a few years ago. Lifetime manual breakage guarantee!!! Wouldn't mind knowing what it was originally made to tighten/turn.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Boulton-Paul/Sockets-1.jpg
I have two 2 1/4" 1" drive sockets, one bi-hex and the other hex. Last used about six years ago and can't foresee needing a spare, so the hex is also surplus if required. The hex is 0.060" a/f wider than the Whitworth, so should be a reasonable fit. Let me know if interested. Not wanting silly money.
Regards, Dave Carter.
Thanks very much for the offer.

I want this socket to tighten the four nuts which hold the back actor of a JCB in place.

I measured a couple of nuts. One was 2.208" and the other 2.250". The nearest Whitworth size is 2 3/16" + 1/32" across the flats, which evaluates to 2.219" (this size corresponds to a 1 3/8" BSW bolt). Based on these measurements I'm inclined to think that these are Whitworth. The closest imperial size would be probably be 2 1/4" and the closest metric 57 mm (if you can get 57 mm sockets).
I couldn't find any reference to a King Dick PDW 2422 online. Are any of your four sockets definitely Whitworth, or do the larger ones not carry a size? All my larger stuff is 3/4" drive, not 1" drive, so there's going to be a compatiblity problem there. A 3/4" to 1" socket adaptor from Toolbank is 34, which is only 5 short of the cost of the correct 3/4" drive socket! If you've got a Whitworth socket I might be tempted to take a chance on picking up an adaptor second hand. If they're all imperial AF or metric I'm less tempted because it'll involve the same search for the adaptor for a socket which isn't quite right.
For the moment I'll bear you in mind. Thanks very much for the offer.
Best wishes,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Once upon along time ago, I made an adaptor from a short length of hex bar ground to 1" sq. at one end and used a 3/4" hex socket on the other, it worked well, until a colleague lost it in the mud on a site. So I cut/shaped/ground/filed a piece of 6mm angle to fit between socket and drive. Worked ok, did the job, even if a bit fiddley.
Dave.

1" male to 3/42 female drive adaptor on eBay for 13.30 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Impact-Adaptor-3-4-Sq-Drive-Female-1-Sq-Drive-Male_W0QQitemZ160048625919QQihZ006QQcategoryZ30906QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
John