Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

Hi folks,
I am repairing an electric motor for a friend. The centrifugal switch is broken. It needs a replacement felt washer as the original has worn
down. It needs to be a hard felt washer (not the kind which is rubber mixed with felt) with dimensions 1/2" (hole) by 1" (overall diameter) by 1/8" (thickness). Anyone know of a source? I can send money by PayPal if anyone has one they're willing to sell.
Many thanks,
Chris Tidy
Christopher Tidy wrote:

I've gotten felt sheet and bobs made by these guys in the past http://www.hardy-hanson.co.uk/ , maybe you can blag a sample. If you needed 1/4" sheet I could probably send you a piece.
David Billington wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent them an e-mail. I would take you up on the offer of a piece of sheet, except 1/4" is definitely too thick.
Best wishes,
Chris
Larry Jaques wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kit-Car-Racer-Classic-Battery-Terminal-Washers_W0QQitemZ360084290681QQihZ023QQcategoryZ100921QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
http://www.autozone.com/R,363992/vehicleId,3191302/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,2213/partType,01022/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
Look a bit thin from the picture, and I would imagine a bit too soft. Also, won't car battery terminals will be wider than 1/2"?
Best wishes,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

I have now received two felt washers of different grades from Hardy & Hanson. The denser grade looks most suitable. Thanks for the suggestion.
Best wishes,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

You mentioned elsewhere that this was an old motor long out of production. Induction repulsion start maybe. I have one on a compressor, now on loan to a mate and it is the only one I have run across. I got it as a recon and it has never given any problems. It is the only motor I have seen with timing. There is a clamp at the back of the motor to allow the starter phasing to be altered and it effects the direction and starting perfomance. The centrifugal assembly appears to be made out of several dozen, at least, copper segments the flip out when the speed is high enough. Its largish, cast iron frame and heavy but has worked without problems for the last 25 years and maybe 3 times older than that. Never had the need to dismantle it though, which I have had to do with a couple of newer motors with centrifugal start switches, Gryphon motors IIRC.
David Billington wrote:

I don't think so. It looks like a regular capacitor start motor to me. But I would like to see one of those repulsion start motors. I've yet to see one. Do they look very different on the outside?
I am starting to think that perhaps the insulation in the motor is failing.
Best wishes,
Chris
r>Hi folks,

Chris, I would rip out all the centrifugal stuff and install a sinpac switch in its place... the centrifugal parts will just be a problem again in the future.... OTOH, why does it have to be felt - why not some kind of plastic, as that would last longer. It just has to activate the switch, right? Ken.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:58:11 -0400, Ken Sterling

I'll bet part of it's function is an oil wick, so you need to provide a suitable substitute. But a separate plastic washer in front of it would provide wear resistance and allow the oil to work around the edges to the mechanism.
Myself, if it didn't show up at a reasonable price available premade I'd go find a sheet of the right hard wool felt at a fabric store or haberdashery supply ("10/6 in this size" ;-) ) to make the washer myself, and be done with it.
The center hole is easily cut with a gasket cutter or leatherwork punch cutter, and if you can't find a 1" cutter you can make one with a sharpened piece of pipe. Or mark it with a compass and use a sharp pair of scissors, it's only felt and OD cuts are easy...
--<< Bruce >>--
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

It might function as an oil wick, I'm not sure. But it certainly has to be an insulator as it touched live components. I had wondered about making a replacement out of Tufnol (SRBF), but I think it might make the motor more noisy, and I'm not sure how it would wear.

I doubt those haberdashery felts are stiff enough. This washer needs to resist radial compression.

Do you just hit those punches with a hammer?
Best wishes,
Chris

I have made cutters for gaskets and such on the lathe. I just make them with a shank that will go in the drill press and use them in the drill press, both to apply pressure but also spinning to cut the material.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Sounds neat. I will have to try that.
Best wishes,
Chris
Ken Sterling wrote:

Another guy recommended the same thing. I'd prefer not to. I prefer the mechanical switch. And those electronic switches are costly.
Best wishes,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

This might be silly, but is there a motor shop in your area? Is it availble from the motor's OEM?
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I already called them. The impression I got was that the motor company made their last motors about 50 years ago. No chance of getting original spare parts.
Best wishes,
Chris

Felt pads that go on table legs and chairs..but you would have to punch the center hole..
Rick wrote:

Again, I doubt they'll be stiff enough. I persuaded a couple of felt companies to send me free samples today, so we'll see how I get on.
Many thanks,
Chris
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Chris, try looking at a jewelry supply house. I use rock hard felt wheels in my hand held grinder and some of those are 1/8 in thickness and come i 1" diameters. You would have to punch the center hole yourself. Michael
Michael wrote:

Thanks for the tip. If the washers I have obtained don't work, I'll look into it.
Best wishes,
Chris
I did some contract work for an automatic player piano company. They use lots of felt to quiet the mechanisms. Different custom die cut shapes, densities, and thicknesses.
I cannot remember which company but there is a felt company in LA that had a catalog that had more types and shapes than I ever dreamed were possible.
I see 3 in Google, give them a call:
General Felt Industries Incorporated 8320 Rex Rd Pico Rivera, CA 90660 (562) 948-1432
Western Felt & Fiber 323 S Date Ave Alhambra, CA 91803 (714) 972-2820? (626) 281-6300
Acme Felt Works 6500 Stanford Ave Los Angeles, CA 90001 (323) 752-3778
-Chris ???