Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

Hi folks,

I am repairing an electric motor for a friend. The centrifugal switch is broken. It needs a replacement felt washer as the original has worn down. It needs to be a hard felt washer (not the kind which is rubber mixed with felt) with dimensions 1/2" (hole) by 1" (overall diameter) by

1/8" (thickness). Anyone know of a source?

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Piano restorers? Lots of felt washers in pianos... The ones under the keys are about 1" dia but the hole isn't 1/2" but could be made bigger. Might not be hard enough felt though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I use a lot of felt in my trade - I get mine from

Don't know that it's as hard as you'll need though.

I can probably cut you a 1 inch disc out of 1/8th woven felt and send it up by post - just drop me an email.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stephen.

How do you cut rings of felt? I need to replace a couple of ring shaped felt lubricators in my watchmakers lathe and have not yet been able to cut them neatly without leaving a ragged edge.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the kind offer. I've sent you an e-mail.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris,

McMaster-Carr has a wide range of hard felt.

Then search on hard felt.

The hardest grade the carry (32S2) would cost you an ill octopus for a

12"x12"x1/8" piece. You'd need to drag out that set of gasket hole punches to make the washer.

See ya, Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA fero snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com

Reply to
hit_n_miss

So you reckon one of these would work, even with thick felt?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Sadly McMaster won't ship here, which is a real pain.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I use a set of home-made wad punches and a press ( actually an industrial spec crimping tool that I picked up from the tip for a fiver ). The trick is to ensure the punches are razor sharp.

You can also use the punches in the lathe - run at high speed and use a wooden block to press the felt against the punch. It needs to be a large block of wood - you really don't want to risk a slip and find your hand meeting the punch.

You can use the tailstock to advance the felt against the punch if you want to be sure of getting a square-on cut.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Many thanks. Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Not to worry mate. Friendly Yanks across the pond could place an order for you and drop the felt into the post. Just let me know if I can help.

See ya, Arnie

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Cheers, Arnie. I've now obtained a felt washer of the correct size as a free sample, but if I need anything from McMaster in the future, I may drop you a line.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Someone else told me about using a wad punch in a drill press, which would ensure a square cut.

Does anyone know what brands of wad punches are good? I might get some even though I think I've solved the felt problem for now. Many of those advertised in the UK are "Footprint" brand, and I'm cautious about these as I bought a "Footprint" hand drill which was junk.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have an Imperial set (9 punches from 1/4" to 1") made by Maun

bought from Axminster, which seems to be very good; they also do a metric set.

I made a simple arbor, threaded one end (M16 x 2 ?) and turned to 1/2" at the other to fit in a drill chuck. Clamp a piece of MDF to the table of a vertical mill, tack your gasket material, old inner tube etc to the MDF and you can cut a precise pattern of holes using the XY positioning of the table.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Ah, Maun tools. I have a pair of side cutters made by Maun, which are pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Everything you want ...

I've had this idea ...add water... freeze the stuff and machine it really quickly. :)

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Can they supply a long felt want ;-)

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:04:41 +0100, Nick H finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

G - R - O - A - N!!

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Sorry!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Presumably a hard felt washer is a laundry assistant suffering from sexual harassment...?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree