Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

Thanks for the tip. If the washers I have obtained don't work, I'll look into it.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Are you talking about a rack and pinion press? I was thinking of a regular bench vice which you use for holding workpieces.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have now received two felt washers of different grades from Hardy & Hanson. The denser grade looks most suitable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

[ ... ]

Great!

Hmm ... my belt is averaging abound 0.147", so it could be sanded down to the needed thickness.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Still a problem for me -- even after turning javascript on. :-(

O.K. That kind you just hit with a hammer (wear safety glasses, of course), and use a wooden block under it. Pine 2x4 would probably do well for a few parts.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Go to any cobbler and buy a leather sole blank. I use one as a coaster in my office. Looks like a big leather footprint, is 0.200" (~5mm) thick, and is very hard and dense. I paid about $10 for it, which the cobbler claimed to be his cost.

The cobbler will have sole blanks in various thicknesses.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Tip: use the end grain of the wood - the punch penetrates much more easily. Not that the punch has to penetrate very far, but enough to get through the leather/rubber/felt/whatever.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I've looked at this header time and time again.

are you after a washer you have some real emotion about or you after a washer made from felt that is hard?

Stealth (dunno) pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

It's weird how people's minds can see things differently. I never thought there was anything weird about the title. You've got to try a lot harder with this one than Tom Gardner's "shaft extension" thread.

I want a washer made out of felt which is hard.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Well, the first try wasn't great. The motor tripped the circuit breakers in the workshop, and I've yet to figure out why.

Leather sounds promising, but I was told that it loses its stiffness when it gets exposed to oil. I was also thinking about using Tufnol (SRBF), which would have the necessary insulating properties. I wonder if Tufnol washers are available ready made?

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Are the soles made out of a single sheet of leather, or several sheets glued together?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

You mentioned elsewhere that this was an old motor long out of production. Induction repulsion start maybe. I have one on a compressor, now on loan to a mate and it is the only one I have run across. I got it as a recon and it has never given any problems. It is the only motor I have seen with timing. There is a clamp at the back of the motor to allow the starter phasing to be altered and it effects the direction and starting perfomance. The centrifugal assembly appears to be made out of several dozen, at least, copper segments the flip out when the speed is high enough. Its largish, cast iron frame and heavy but has worked without problems for the last 25 years and maybe 3 times older than that. Never had the need to dismantle it though, which I have had to do with a couple of newer motors with centrifugal start switches, Gryphon motors IIRC.

Reply to
David Billington

My leather sole coaster does not appear to have been glued.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I did some contract work for an automatic player piano company. They use lots of felt to quiet the mechanisms. Different custom die cut shapes, densities, and thicknesses.

I cannot remember which company but there is a felt company in LA that had a catalog that had more types and shapes than I ever dreamed were possible.

I see 3 in Google, give them a call:

General Felt Industries Incorporated

8320 Rex Rd Pico Rivera, CA 90660 (562) 948-1432

Western Felt & Fiber

323 S Date Ave Alhambra, CA 91803 (714) 972-2820? (626) 281-6300

Acme Felt Works

6500 Stanford Ave Los Angeles, CA 90001 (323) 752-3778

-Chris ???

Reply to
C Clark remove nospam

I don't think so. It looks like a regular capacitor start motor to me. But I would like to see one of those repulsion start motors. I've yet to see one. Do they look very different on the outside?

I am starting to think that perhaps the insulation in the motor is failing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for the tip. I have acquired a washer as a free sample, but if it doesn't work I'll give those companies a call.

But I am starting to think that the motor has other problems.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Wow. Guess a cow has pretty thick skin. Must be even thicker than 5 mm before it dries.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Bull.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:14:45 -0400, the infamous Joseph Gwinn scrolled the following:

Yabbut, cows have thick hides, too. For the thickest single hide, look to buffalo. It's up to about 1/4" (6mm) thick.

============================================================ Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cattle hides are that thick too. I think it depends on the age and physical size of the critter as well. It also varies with location on the critter.

Elephant hide has to be at least 0.5" thick.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn