Welding 316, 304 stainless with 411 filler rod

I have a few pieces of 304, 316 stainless steel that I need to weld together to make a truck bed extension. I also have 411 (IIRC) filler rod. My question is, can these materialsbe safely joined by TIG.

thanks

Ignoramus16855

Are they TIG weldable wioth 411 filler, that's the question.

Ignoramus16855

Reply to
Potblak

They can be safely joined by TIG, but not with 411 filler rod. The rule is to use a rod of higher chrome and nickel content than the material being welded. 411 has less chrome and nickel than 304. 316 has higher chrome and nickel than 304, so Potblak is right. Use bits of 316.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Or 312 even better!