TIG welding 304 to 316

Hello,

I would like to TIG but weld two 3" dia pipes. Wall thickness is 1/16" One is 304L and the other is 316 I have ER308L 3/32 rod. Will this work?

Should I leave the ends square?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Yes, I think that will work fine.

This is pipe, not tube? Some pipe is pretty crappy metal with a lot of dirt in it. It welds best with high power, moving fast. 1/16", I'd pulse it with about 150 amps.

I would not bother beveling the ends with 1/16" wall.

Reply to
Polymer Man

They are very clean both tubes. One is actually an elbow. This is for a turbo down pipe. I am still learning and cannot move to fast else I will leave skid marks. Should I space them apart a little bit and how much? This is to enhance penetration. ( I think)

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Don't forget to back purge this weld Boris. If you weld without any shielding gas you will get really ugly stuff coming out the back side of the weld. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanks. I am well aware of ugly black warts that pop up on the other side. It would be impractical to back purge so I am using Solar Flux - B acts as a barrier. 150 Amperes sounds. I am afraid that I will punch through.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

You will punch through quickly at 150 amps unless you're pulsing and moving along quickly. The purpose of "blow and go" is to prevent the crud in the pipe from creating a lot of porosity. If it is good clean metal (I mean inside of the metal, not just surface cleanliness) you can weld it as slow as you want.

I would not use flux for fear of it contaminating the weld, but that's just me. To back purge as Eric suggests all you need to do is cover one end, fill with argon, cover the other end. I seldom bother except for titanium.

To weld really slow, I'd set it at about 80 amps. You still want to pulse because it is a thin material. Get on the heat, the puddle starts to flow, dip the rod in and out, lift off (before blowing a hole), move over and repeat.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Use 309L and leave the ends square. Move down to 0.045" wire.

Never use a filler wire thicker than your base metal. Also remember to purge the inside of the tube with argon.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler