Welding cast iron to mild steel

This is a Famco 4C arbor press. It is of "compound ratcheting" type, and can develop up to 12 tons of force. It is very huge in size and
weighs approximately 500 lbs.
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/ElkGrove/222.JPG
It seems to work fine, with one exception.
As you can see, the original cast iron hand wheel/machine handle on it is broken and something ugly bolted on. I wanted to make it look nicer and have a three spoked handle. I have a handle similar to ebay item 120439463076, but with a flat steel hub.
So I can either drill, tap and screw the handle hub to the original hub, or I could weld it. For the latter, what sort of welding material would you suggest. For example, if I use Nickel 55, would it properly adhere to mild steel.
Right now I am removing remnants of the original cast iron spokes on the lathe.
This is a Famco 4C arbor press. It is of "compound ratcheting" type, and can develop up to 12 tons of force. It is very huge in size and weighs approximately 500 lbs.
http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp/ElkGrove/222.JPG
It seems to work fine, with one exception.
As you can see, the original cast iron hand wheel/machine handle on it is broken and something ugly bolted on. I wanted to make it look nicer and have a three spoked handle. I have a handle similar to ebay item 120439463076, but with a flat steel hub.
So I can either drill, tap and screw the handle hub to the original hub, or I could weld it. For the latter, what sort of welding material would you suggest. For example, if I use Nickel 55, would it properly adhere to mild steel.
Right now I am removing remnants of the original cast iron spokes on the lathe.
I ended up turning the cast iron hub on the lathe to get rid of the remnants of original spokes (first picture), and then drilled/tapped and bolted the steel hub of the handle to the cast iron hub of the press. It actually looks quite better now, compared to what it was when I brought it home (last picture).
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc/Famco-4C-Arbor-Press/
Picture before last is an attempt to show how big is the press.

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 09:35:04 -0500, Ignoramus13611

*Snip*
Somehow I'd always pictured you as bigger.
And older.
Do your parents know what it is you're up to?
H.

I am just a youthful looking midget...

Looks good. Especially since one would expect that any real work would be done with the big ratchet handle, not that one... --Glenn Lyford

This handle is not for pressing. It is for moving the arbor up or down when it does not contact work.
This press is actually very well designed and is very compact for its 12 tons of pressure. It takes less space than a hydraulic press and can be mounted on a bench. It is relatively big and heavy (500-600 lbs), but has a small footprint.
I will sell my Famco 3R 3 ton press and will keep this Famco 4C 12 ton press. It will only perhaps use one extra square foot on the table where it is mounted. I bought new casters for the table to support the weight of this press and to keep the table movable.
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 21:36:48 -0500, Ignoramus13611

AH! I just reviewed the pictures.
Ignore my previous post. Sorry.
Gunner
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Oops, I followed up to it without seeing this one. Anyhow, I am grinding off the old casters from my steel table, to put in bigger ones in prep for this arbor press. I think that this bigger one, will do more or less anything tat I need, with its 12 tons of pressure.

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:17:45 -0500, Ignoramus27305

Thats what I thought when I made up my 15 ton hydraulic press...
It does MOST of what I want it to do. The small minority that needed more, is what caused me to swap for a 50 ton press..to be here in a week or two.
Shrug...<G>
Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
or about Sun, 09 Aug 2009 13:32:58 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    You do know, that eventually, you find that even this 50 ton press, just doesn't have the "oomph" you need? And you will start looking for a bigger one?
    Is vicious cycle, comrade.
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 18:15:50 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Da, Torvarish..but fun von!

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
or about Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:10:12 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    Women buy shoes and men buy tools for the same reason. To keep someone else from having them!
tschus pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:37:09 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Nyet! I dont puy to keep udders from havink Stuff...I puy Stuff that I needing and pay ver little vor it. Das der gamen! Sometimes Free! Great Game!!
Gunner
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Filed your taxes yet?
or about Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:27:06 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Bizness is the game, and score is kept with dollars!
    Not much of a great score, but my buddy got the sheet of clear corrugated plastic roofing "window panel". "Stop the truck - what's that?" I turn right at the corner, and as we enter the alley I point at the house and say "five bedrooms, 2.25 baths, I'd love to buy this place", and then round the block: it is Free. "Price is right!" and he hops out and loads it up. "I dunno what I'll do with it, but it is nice and new." And Free. "And Free." - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:05:28 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Pravo ceknic!!
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
"He who dies with the most toys wins." Who said that? What if you bust your butt so hard you never get to play with them? Does it still count?
--
Tin Lizzie
"Elephant: A mouse built to government specifications."-Lazarus Long

    He who dies with the most toys - is still dead.
    Better, IMOSHO, to enjoy what you have. You may say "I wish I had a ..." but as has been observed in this thread already, you get one "small" one, and you start thinking about how a bigger one would do the other fiddly bits. As Abe Lincoln observed about farmers in Illinois: They don't really want much, they only want the acreage next to their farm. - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

All done. With new 2x6 casters, the table moves very smoothly, in fact, too easily. That is not a problem, of course, a few pieces of 2x4 under it, or some tiny chocks, will do wonders if I need to keep it in one place. The press is on the table now. What a massive mother(*&(*&, it looks like an elephant.
Casters are from here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberA565
Kind of pricey, but they look very good in all respects, except one: on two of them, the greasing nipple that greases the axle, is very hard to access with a grease gun, there is not enough clearance between the nipple and the body of the wheel to stick the gun. But for the amount of movement that this table will see, it should be just fine.
Each caster is rated for 600 lbs, which should be plenty to hold the press and a bunch of stuff that lives on the table. I would expect the table to weigh 1,500 lbs or so. The table weighs at least 300 lbs, plus the press (600 lbs?), plus various crap.