Weird weld

I needed to make a pin for my new used backhoe to keep the bucket from swinging when not in use. I found a tapered drift. Perfect. I then took a piece of rebar (probably not the best choice), and welded the two together at a 90 with 7018. The puddling and fusion was totally weird. I do hope it holds, but I got other pieces if it don't.

Should this NOT hold, what would be a good combination of a tapered drift, and a piece of round stock. Hot rolled? Cold rolled? The tapered drift only has to drop in to a hole, and the handle is to work a little to pull the pin out before use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The tapered drift pin might be a chunk of oil hardening tool steel or some other weird mix. The rebar is either .4% or .6% carbon steel. You welded it with a lo hydrogen mild steel rod. I have no clue what the metallurgy of your weld puddle or HAZ would look like.

If you need to do it again, try mild steel rod, heat soak the result.

Reply to
RoyJ

Your rods are wet.......

Reply to
Phil Kangas

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message news:jka4hb$3vl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Oh, and so is your innershield wire.....

Reply to
Phil Kangas

So is your brain. What was your point?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Dry your rods.... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I live in the desert southwest. At any given point, my rods are drier than

99% of the rest of the world. Yes, I could put them in an oven and dry them the other 1%.

I'm sorry if your reading comprehension is somewhere hovering over Cleveland right now,

The point was, and I am terribly sorry that you missed it, that two VERY dissimilar metals were being welded together.

But, you, in your immense body of welding knowledge knew that.

Right?

No?....................

Maybe? ..................

Um .....................

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........................

Reply to
Steve B

ARGH!! I meant to say "mild steel rod instead of the rebar". 7018 is a good choice of rod unless the pin is some really exotic alloy.

Reply to
RoyJ

Let me say this about that ................. It was hard to see that the welding rod was sticking to either ..................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ohhhhhh, you got the REALLY high carbon stuff!!!

Reply to
RoyJ

Let me put it to you this way .................... It was one hell of a weird puddle ......

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Whatsamatter steveb, is your brain roasted in that desert heat? Better get _yourself_ wet.......hurry.. ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

No, it is much easier to just hit this button here, and .......

poof.

You are gone.

At least until you morph again. Which could be twelve seconds from now..........

sigh .............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm sure others will weigh in, but rebar has always acted funny to me. Cuts weird. Welds weird. Exfoliates like crazy when bending, even hot. Just weird. I always figured it was made with the left over scrap and slag that wouldn't go in anything else.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

For home quality yes. The junk kind.

There is rated - specified - used in highways, runways, large buildings and the like.

While most at HD or Lowes - and most metal places is the cheaper scrap steel. Sometimes strong. Never shatters.

It is a hit and miss with junk stuff.

Mart>> I needed to make a pin for my new used backhoe to keep the bucket from

Reply to
Martin Eastburn