Cast iron repair anyone?

I'm partial to bazing, mostly because that is what I've done in the past. The braze material is usually the 50kpsi range, about the strength of the original cast iron. A 6" square piece would preheat nicely to

600F to 800F, just pour the braze material into a prepared groved crack, let it all cool slowy in a pile of vermiculite.
Reply to
RoyJ

Whodathunk?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What's the purpose of the groove? When bicycles and motorcycle frames used cast lugs, the joints had no "vee" to help. Capillary action draws in the molten brazing metal.

Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Take it out to one of the Special Effect Shops in the valley. There are some around the Burbank Airport. Talk to them. To stick cast back together you need to A) heat it in a oven to about 400 deg to push all of the junk out. then while still HOT B) Arc weld it with a nickel rod. Did this on the sterring box for the '29 hot rod and have put well over 100,000 miles of hard road one it.

Steve E.

Reply to
Steven E. Eyrse

Reply to