Trouble with spray on metallic paint

Hi,

I have used Krylon Premium Mettalic Chrome paint on quite a large surface. The look is great: very shiny and smooth. The problem is that it is not hard enough. Any scratching will leave a mark and degrade the look.

I tried a polyurethane clear protection, but it makes the finish dull and dark. The Krylon representative on the phone confirmed that this is expected, and could not offer me any solution...

I cannot believe that there is no clear coating out there that will not react with the metallic content of the Krylon paint...

Any suggestion?

Thanks! Benoit

Reply to
Benoit

On 26 Feb 2007 17:25:37 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Benoit" quickly quoth:

Swap out the panel with stainless.

Otherwise, if you use MexiChrome (what aluminum spray paint was called in SoCal when I was a teen), you get MexiChrome. Any of your topcoats evidently interfere with the reflective action of the Krylon metallic paint. I seem to recall that Richard Feynman had a great description of that effect in "Six Easy Pieces". It may be here:

-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques