CFM spec for compressor - checking?

I have a dry compressor that states on a side sticker:

1.5 HP - 8CFM - max PSI 118, it certainly meets the PSI spec but 8CFM seems perhaps a high figure for the small motor? Can I check this by simply measuring the pumped output air volume over time at atmospheric pressure? I was thinking of trying a LPHV spray gun with this compressor (small jobs not a spray shop)... The spray gun spec says CFM 5 psi 40-ish but I dont know if this means 5CFM@40psi which would be a very different thing - or will they all be using atmospheric pressure as the volume standard ! Thanks C+
Reply to
Charlie+

An efficient single-stage compressor should give about 3.2 - 3.5 CFM per HP at ~100 PSI. I'd be real suspicious of 8 CFM from 1.5 HP, that is almost impossible.

Yes, that's how the rating is defined.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:15:41 +0700, John B. wrote as underneath my scribble :

Thanks both for your replies, I will look at your link and then measure the actual if I find an easy way to do it - and report back for interest! C+

Reply to
Charlie+