Change gear ID

I bought 2 boxes of pillow blocks today just because the price was right. I found what looks like a set of lathe change gears in the box. they are smaller than the gears used on a south bend 9" everyone is marked with the # of teeth and "M6" any ideas? maybe an atlas 6"??? I did see an atlas TS in his piles of stuff he is selling. The man is 80 years old and still sharp. LOTS of stuff he is cleaning out.

Reply to
Wayne Mak

Ya, that's probably off an atlas six. They are a zamak gear with a 1/2" bore with two keyways, and stack on a babbitt bushing with a 3/8" bore.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

And they self-disintegrate over the years too. My father-in-law had 2 Atlas

6" lathes. The first one he junked (by tossing it down behind his workbench) because of the "rotting back gears" problem.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The backgears go easy, because they have a thin wall in the small end. The change gears seem to work fine.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Sounds like the gears they have the 2 keyway slots, they don't look to be used much. Well if they are atlas gears it looks like the pillow blocks will be free:) I am sure they will get $50 for the set. Now what to do with the

40 or so pillow blocks and misc bearings????
Reply to
Wayne Mak

How do you tell between 6" gears and those for a 10-12"? I know the larger lathes came with more, but are the gears different?

Wayne: How many were in this set?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4
9 gears they look like they would be small for a 10" I can send a picture if you wish.
Reply to
Wayne Mak

The 10-12 inchers used larger 16 pitch gears with larger bores. The 6" used

22 pitch gears (IIRC)

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Nine gears would be a full set for the Atlas 6". What's the ID?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I see m6 and the # of teeth stamped on the gears not much else. How are things up in MA?? Been busy here projects just keep coming.

Reply to
Wayne Mak

Things are busy here. Actually just got a pretty nifty score, but I'll post about that in another thread.

What's the inside diameter on those gears? I assume they're for a 6" lathe, since the 10" gears I have (oops) don't say M6. GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Ok this is toooo odd. I just picked up a atlas 6" today, and yes same gears. Cute little lathe

Reply to
Wayne Mak