Cheap Chain timing

On the first version of a machine I used a timing device that cost $150. It works great but...$150!!! The 160 RPM shaft is 1" dia. and there are two
pillow blocks with the sprocket outboard.
On the second machine, I cut the shaft in half and drilled the cut ends for a 5/8-11 thread. It was done in soft jaws so the holes are very concentric and the shaft runs true. I milled six flats on the ends of each half-shaft. A threaded rod and two lock nuts hold the shaft together. To adjust the timing, I loosen one nut and advance or retard the shaft then tighten the lock nut. I hope somebody else can use the idea. (Yes, I did shorten the shaft by two inches to make up for the nuts)
Tom Gardner wrote:

Whereas individual thinkers might have settled for fitting one of these to the sprocket, simple yet more sophisticated:
http://www.mav.it/Company
Smithy

says...

Often more convenient for small shafts... http://www.fennerdrives.com/keyless_bushings/trantorque_home.asp
Or if the torque isn't too great, just use a taper-lock sprocket and leave out the key.
Ned Simmons

That's neat!

Good idea but, you forget how cheap I am! And, I can change the timing in just a few seconds. My application is low enough torque and speed that I can get away with this.
I needed super accurate timing on my apple packing line to transfer apples from one set of cups to another. Use three sprockets close together (the 0 in the ascii art) run chain so it serpentines (the _/ in the ascii art) put middle sprocket on long pull bolts so you can move it quite a ways. This changes timing on sprocket on right in relation to sprocket on left. There is also a chain tightening dancer in another area of the chain run.
\ _ / \0/0\0/
--
<()> An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Cool idea, I don't have the room here but, it's filed in my brain now! I wonder what vital information it displaced...

None, unless your memory is full. Young people with mostly empty brains forget nothing, but as you get older and your brain fills with information you reach a point where every new thing displaces something else.
Don Young

The other day, I read a magazine at work and forgot where I live.
Tom Gardner wrote:

It wasn't a travel brochure was it Tom? Be careful. You might wind up in the Bermudas for dinner or something. LOL
--

John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Nah, he lives too far north to be wearing shorts during the evening in January, John.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 04:21:08 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Karl, when you do ASCII art you're supposed to use a fixed pitch font (and remind people to view with same) so the spacing stays constant - yours is borken, doesn't line up when viewed in fixed pitch and can vary widely depending on what proportional font the reader is using.
It's supposed to look like this:

Newbies... Sheesh. ;-)
--<< Bruce >>--
--<< Bruce >>--

    I'm afraid that he is right. Even the *same* proportional font can vary from system to system. Windows is probably a constant with the same font selected. But Windows to Mac or Window to unix is a serious problem.
    That's why I always read news and e-mail in a fixed pitch font.
    Enjoy,         DoN.