Clamping insert

I need to clamp a 3/4" square x 1/4" thick insert into a tool. The insert will have to be clamped by it's edge. It's supported on the bottom and on one side and the clamp will be on the third side. Picture the insert standing up on it's 1/4" side. My question is how much interference should the clamp be squeezing the insert? I'm thinking about 0.005". It's easy to increase the interference by grinding the holder back but a bitch to make it longer. The insert will be subject to a LOT of force and can't move! (Yep, it cuts flat wire like a guillotine.) I designed the cutter arm with the kind advice of people here...regardless of politics!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm picturing a carbide cutter with a rabbit's-tooth function... Consider clamping it against a soft gasket (copper or aluminum) so that the soft material will deform into tool marks in the seat and the insert, to hold it from shifting. So, you'd make the clearance near zero, and use a five mil gasket. Or, make the clearance -.005, and lock the insert into position by adhering a pinch of carborundum grit onto the metal face it clamps against.

Reply to
whit3rd

I like the grit!

Reply to