Perfectly safe homemade welding mask?

larrymoencurly

Put a caption on that pic: How to Go Blind in less than a Year!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

AKshully... you might be off-base on that. There are lots of "welding glasses" available for use by 'suits' and other onlookers who are far enough away from the hot-zone to avoid spatter.

They're available all the way to shade 14, so that might just be a pair of those. The cardboard is perfectly adequate to prevent welders' tan.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hmm, does that guy (with the cardboard) look like he could afford yuppie welding sunglasses?

Yes, while it may be perfectly possible (here, anyway), how -probable- is it, Lloyd?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I did say, "might"...

I'll say this, though... if that guy ever worked on a large construction site, he'd be a lot more likely to cop a couple of pair of those 'onlooker' glasses than he would a real helmet. They're pretty common around structural steel projects. (the bosses don't want to muss their hair by putting on a helmet).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Compare the dress of the guy in the cardboard helmet and the suited bosses at a large construction company. See any similarities at all? Me neither. I guess gay bosses would use one of these:

Larry Jaques

Nearly all modern sunglasses are UV blockers. So the UV wont burn his eyeballs. The glare might f*ck up the rods and cones..but it wont be UV burns. The cardboard saves the rest of the face.

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake." Malcolm Wallop former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm wondering what percentage of UV is blocked by modern sunglass lenses.

OK, maybe he will be OK with those.

Yes, the light intensity will, without a doubt, burn up his vision. Yeah, the cardboard is inelegant, but perfectly functional.

Speaking of light intensity, I picked up that 700W photography studio light setup last week with dual backdrops and stands. Only $93.56 delivered. You oughta see the size of those CFLs. 3/4" diameter tubing in a 4" diameter, 11" long bulb.

They're called 85W CFLs but they draw only 70W in use. They're amazingly bright, especially with the silvered umbrellas behind them to focus the light. Ditto my newest LEDs, which are called 7W but draw 5W in use. I love 'em all, though.

Reply to
Larry Jaques