Cleaning anodized aluminum?

Hello,

I am in the process of sprucing up a classic automobile, and need some advice about the anodized aluminum trim. The vehicle is 27 years old and has lived by the sea (in Southern CA) for its entire life. As a result, the anodized aluminum trim has developed a cloudy haze. Can anybody offer any suggestions on cleaning/polishing this type of aluminum back to its original clarity? Is the only real solution to use a mild abrasive (Autosol or similar) metal polish to remove the anodized layer, and then keep it laquered regularly so that corrosion won't set in? What about products like Nevr-Dull? Any advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
steadyrock

We use fine scotchbrite abrasive material here, but it is usually on new, industrial anodizing... But it is also black and comes out just fine.

Try to get a piece and see how it works.

It is sometimes called abrasive nylon.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Hello,

I am in the process of sprucing up a classic automobile, and need some advice about the anodized aluminum trim. The vehicle is 27 years old and has lived by the sea (in Southern CA) for its entire life. As a result, the anodized aluminum trim has developed a cloudy haze. Can anybody offer any suggestions on cleaning/polishing this type of aluminum back to its original clarity? Is the only real solution to use a mild abrasive (Autosol or similar) metal polish to remove the anodized layer, and then keep it laquered regularly so that corrosion won't set in? What about products like Nevr-Dull? Any advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
steadyrock

De ja vu...

Did you see my reply to the other thread?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Only the reply posted here about the Scotchbrite pads...

Did you mean the kitchen-grade Scotchbrite pads sold at the grocery store, or one of their industrial products?

Thx, Matt

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

corrosion

Reply to
steadyrock

Yup.

Industrial product...

Then type "abrasive nylon" in the search box

Then click on "Nylon Mesh Abrasive Pads"

Then look for the different grades. There is a "white" grade out there somewhere that polishes my polyethylene plastic guards to almost a mirror finish... You may want to try the finest or next to finest gray silicone carbide variety... But try it in a hidden place first! No guarantees...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

Joe AutoDrill

Great, thanks. There's a McMaster-Carr about 10 miles from my office in Los Angeles, I'll drop by there and pick up some of the micro-fine pads. Thanks for the tip!

What about after care, though? Presumably this abrasive will remove the anodized layer so I'll have raw aluminum exposed to the elements. If that's the case (and assuming the abrasive pads do the trick), what can I put on it to prevent it from corroding from the oxygen and salt air? Is maintenance going to be a problem?

Reply to
steadyrock

Why not have them ship these to you for like $5? Isn't your time worth more than the shipping cost? For me, stuff arrives same day if ordered by 2:30 PM or so...

It may not remove ALL the anodizing unless you want it to. Start with a rough pad, then fine, then extra fine to polish, etc. to accomplish this. To protect afterwards, I'd suggest a good paste or silicone-based wax. No need to protect the surface from a harsh wax so find the most durable stuff you can. Usually that means the cheap stuff at the auto parts store. I don't tell people to use it on their car because any wax with active silicone in it seals the paint and can sause problems later on. I used to detail vehicles for a living and have seen many cars with problems...

Race Glaze brand non-active silicone sealer is one of the best there is, but it is hard to find and expensive. I'd go with cheap stuff for the metal and expensive stuff for the paint. Maybe even chrome cleaner? Does chrome cleaner have protectorants in it???

Much success to you.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

There should be no reason why you cannot have the trim re-anodized. You might contact

for a professional opinion. A professional auto restoration shop might be able to give a recommendation.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian