Clear coat on steel

Try this clear coat , I use it on my fishing lures its really tough . Not cheap but is basically armour plate.

Kevin(Bluey)

What are the drawbacks with using it? Have you tried any of that hi-temp 'ceramic' clearcoat that they have at auto parts stores?

BTW, I'm a great fan of your sundials, really nice work.

Mike

Reply to
mike

Thank you.

No I have not tried it. Nobody, including the auto part store people, thought of it as a first choice and I suspect that the primary benefit is the high temperature tolerance rather than rust-proofing (is there much rusting in the areas of high temperature?)

As to the Permalac it is well liked but it is said to fail outside at varying intervals depending on the location.

The logical thing to do is of course use materials that do not rust. However, I have difficulty getting patterns etched into stainless steel and cost is also a consideration. I am working on a kind of hybrid design, brass and mild steel where the steel would not have to be clear coated.

I am in the process of trying an old-worldly method of patinating the mild steel with hot peanut oil and top-coating it with Eastwood Diamond. The patina turned surprisingly well - nice even black, will not come away with Varsol of acetone and takes the topcoat OK. It is sitting in the garden now. So far it only had to face one bit of snow-fall.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

You might want to investigate nickel plating after the graphics have been etched. Look at examples of old engraved and nickel plated guns to see how this could turn out.

Reply to
anorton

I've been using it basically for maintenance tasks, still wondering if the ceramic component really makes it better or it's some kind of feel- good formulation designed to separate the DIYers from more of their money.

Alright, there will be more pictures, I hope :)

Was just browsing Eastwood's site - prices look better than Permalac, hope to hear that it holds up OK to the elements.

Reply to
mike

Just ran across this thread from longago, in case you haven't:

mike