Clear coat on steel

On Mar 23, 7:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've been using it basically for maintenance tasks, still wondering if the ceramic component really makes it better or it's some kind of feel- good formulation designed to separate the DIYers from more of their money.

Alright, there will be more pictures, I hope :)

Was just browsing Eastwood's site - prices look better than Permalac, hope to hear that it holds up OK to the elements.

Just ran across this thread from longago, in case you haven't:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.coatings.paint/browse_thread/thread/591196b1c707f88f/a0fcdd066db051c7?lnk=gst&q=finish#a0fcdd066db051c7

I am no expert, but have you looked into clear vitreous enamel? If that can be applied without changing the color of the steel, I would think that would be the most durable.

Porcelain glass will probably last the longest. This is the first hit I got from google. http://www.porcelain-industries.com/porcelain-coatings http://www.porcelain-industries.com/steel-enameling If you have an oven/kiln that will go to 1400F you may be able to DIY. Art
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:43:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The coating that Lee uses for their dry bullet lube might do the job for you. It can be ordered as Par-al-ketone from Aircraft Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/corrosion.html The downside, is that it will leave a faint amber color on the metal, and it's slightly tacky for quite awhile, particularly if the coat is thick. Some of their other corrosion inhibiting items may do the job better. I noticed that they had a clear aircraft lacquer for aluminum. I don't know if steel vs aluminum matters.
Along similar lines to the bullet lube, someone once mentioned that Tectyl, is a corrosion inhibitor used in the automotive industry. Here's a link to their products. http://www.tectyl.com/default1.html
RWL

Try this clear coat , I use it on my fishing lures its really tough . Not cheap but is basically armour plate. http://www.kbs-coatings.com./diamondfinish-clearcoat.html
--
Kevin (Bluey)