This mill is a lot like my own Bridgeport Interact, except that it is
stepper motor powered, and mine is servo motor powered.
Steppers are a plus if you want to use Windows based Mach3, otherwise servos are better.
I was told that it worked, however, I cannot be sure of this until I bring it to my warehouse and test.
220v 3 phase.

Oh, IG! You'll play hell getting much more than scrap value for that unless your helper puts some _serious_ cleaning time into it.
(how much? <G>)
Lloyd
On 2012-06-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I have not decieded, but it will not be the top price and further discount will be given to this ng. i will know when i bring it in.
i KK>

I ran one of these for quite a while. VERY rigid machine. Control was a POS. Put Mach control on and be happy. it will take some serious drivers to get the most out of this. I don't think Gecko goes that big.
I'd suggest a VFD for the spindle.
Karl

Exactly what I would do, VFD for the spindle, EMC2 or Mach3 for control, plus big ass stepper drives. Then it would be a nice mean machine, a good money maker. I make money with my Bridgeport Interact, selling certain doodads.
The control on my Bridgeport was a POS too. It (Heidenhain) was great for its time, of course, that that was 25 years ago. My control was dead when I bought my mill.

Heh! I'm running on original electronics in my R2E4! But then, the technology in that machine is what I made my first career around, so it's "comfortable".
OTOH, there are a lot of features I'd love the mill to have, and only going to EMC is going to solve that!
Lloyd
On 2012-06-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I love EMC and what it lets me do, the comfort and the convenience.

    This one looks like the original control on my Bridgeport BOSS-3, stepper motors, truly needs clean three phase to run the three axes (not re-strapable for single phase). CPU is an ancient LSI-11. So plan to strip off the box on the side, and the box (not visible) on the back filled with a big three-phase transformer and Mag-Amps (saturable reactors).
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

My own mill was the same way, not convertible to single phase. I ripped out the existing drives and replaced them with $35/ea AMC drives, that Karl recommended.

If its servo no problem for that size machine. The G320X is rated 80VDC 20 amps. Viper is rated higher, but support is slower.
If its stepper, most people think of the G540 which really doesn't handle much larger than about 380oz/in and then only those that will get to full torque at 50VDC and 3.5 amps or less per stepper. However while the G540 is a nicely packaged combo of a breakout and 4 250 stepper drivers its one of the less powerful controllers they sell.
The 201, 203, 210, and 213 will all handle 80VDC and 7 amps per driver.
The claim they design with about a 20% safety margin.

Absofrigginglutely. VFDs are awesome. I will probably wind up with 3 of them inside the high voltage cabinet on the Hurco by the time I get it done. I already have two in there. (Main spindle and spindle cooling fan currently, going to add a 4th vertical axis (Linear A that I can swap with Z when I need it) with a high speed spindle eventually.)

prettys sure its a 2000 oz/in stepper that doesn't do microstepping. It may do 1/2 steps IIRC. I seem to remember my AHHA drivers were rated 12amp at 50 volt and they were still undersize.
Karl
On 6/9/2012 4:44, Ignoramus30438 wrote:

Servos work fine with mach3 too.. Just use a servo controller that accepts step and dir pulse inputs, like Granite devices VSD-E, for easy interface..
Kristian Ukkonen.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:41:24 +0300, Kristian Ukkonen

Looks like about a $300-350 per axis addition, plus servo. Pricy!
-- Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.
In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but never have been able to reach.
The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours. -- Ayn Rand
On 6/10/2012 14:26, Larry Jaques wrote:

Servos are not cheap. However, there is the double-axis model where one of those serveamps runs two motors, halving the price per motor. http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=servo-drive-vsd-e http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.php?q=vsde-dualdc-servo I'm just a happy customer.
The main point was that if you have an existing CNC device with servos and you wish to modernize it, one quite good option (for amateurs) is Mach3 with a servo-amplifier having step/dir input for direct interfacing to parallel port.
I just did that with Emco VMC100. The axis are actually 5-phase steppers, and the spindle is servo-motor. I used Granite-devices VSDEPI board to interface PC to the servoamp VSD-E and three stepper drivers (vexta 2.8A drives). Those stepper drives I got used from ebay, the granite stuff I had to buy new. Also I got a cheap chinese modbus pendant for it. So far, I have been happy.
Kristian Ukkonen.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:43:35 +0300, Kristian Ukkonen

That's why I'll be using steppers.

Cool!
Yes, good point.

Great. I hope to have my CNC router up and running by mid July. I'm slowly but surely getting my shop cleared out enough to finish it, but I've had ten years to stuff it, so it's slow going.
Here's the metal portion of it so far: http://tinyurl.com/8329kzz Once I clear the shop enough, I'll strip it, paint it, finish a few clearance mods on the gantry, and start to test.
-- Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of which they know nothing. --Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago

Looks awesome!
I will have some router heads for sale. They might be too big for this one, though.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:22:52 -0500, Ignoramus15748

I have a 2-1/4 HP Hitachi M12VC and a pair of precision collets for it which ought to handle the task well. Some day, when it grows up, it may have a real spindle on it. ;)
-- Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of which they know nothing. --Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago

I was told by the guys at MachMotion.com that Mach cannot keep up with fine resolver or encoder inputs at any reasonable speeds. It must have a physical motion controller between the computer and the drives in order to handle things like threading or helical interpolation.
They represented that as a defect, and suggested that if I wanted to do software gearing for threading ops, I should explore either EMC, or a very expensive motion controller (that they would sell to me, but didn't recommend, because of the cost of the lathe I wanted to convert).
LLoyd

It is like saying, you can still walk with crutches if there kis nothing wrong with your legs.
On 6/10/2012 16:10, Ignoramus15748 wrote:

Pardon my English, but I didn't catch if that was a negative or positive comment. I presume negative.
As far as I understand the problems with steppers are: - lose torque at high RPM - misses steps
The servo amp with step/dir input solves these.
The torque remains high at high RPM like any servo motor. The missed steps are not possible because the step/dir only inputs to the servoamp position counter, so the actual motor is still a closed-loop servo which can't "miss steps" as the position feedback comes from a physical encoder.
There is also electronic gear in the servoamp, so it is possible to have one input step to mean 0.01 or 100 or whatever encoder steps. I use this with 100:1 electronic gear in CNC mill spindle drive with MACH3 using step/dir signal to servo amp.. Works ok with PC parallel port.
Of course, mach3 is not equivalent to some Fancy CNC control from Siemens, Fanuc etc. but the cost is also significantly less. The step/dir input servodrive makes it possible to interface Mach3 to existing servomotors/ encoders.
Kristian Ukkonen.