CNC Machine Plays Black Sabbath's "Paranoid"

That's right. Paranoid on 3D stepper motors.

Not sure how the guy came up with this idea, but he listens to Black Sabbath and, consequently, may have smoked a little weed from time to time. Because this seems like a pretty "high" thing to do. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Maybe from this guy...

Rick

Once again proving some people have way too much time on their hands.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Computers from the 1950's forward have made music of sorts on line printers, disk drives, and AM radios sitting next to the computer. Eg

Following link mentions line printer music only incidentally, , but it ties into the oil-leaks-and-computers thread of earlier this week, starting a little after halfway through the webpage: "Part of the monthly PM schedule was to change out piles of paper towels stacked on the floor under the 'oil burners" as we called them. It was supposed to be done "discreetly" [...] Also inside the 1403 near the bottom was a pint-sized tin can with 3 or 4 plastic hoses that collected any oil that leaked from selected points in the machine. It is right there in the PM procedure of the manual ... the oilcan was to be emptied periodically"

Reply to
James Waldby

Back in the 50s, my high school science teacher ran an after school science activities club. One of several dozens of such clubs if you were interested.

A couple times a year, he would pack us up in his VW and go on a field trip. (Looked like the clowns in a bug act at the circus.) One such trip was to one of the colleges in Philadelphia that had a new fangled computer.

It took up a big room and you had to see most of it behind glass. A number of demonstrations. One was that the reels whistled as they spun on the tape storage machines. Somone wrote a search program whose sole purpose was to spin them this way and that so it played "On Wisconsin".

Another was a game where you had to supply number for it to show its stuff in some game. The rules were clearly stated in the beginning. Sooner or later some wise guy would come up something like "7 3/4". The operator didn't bat an eye, just put in what the kid said. A few seconds later it would type out something like "I said, did I not, an integer between 1 and 100". I guess computers with attitude and a superior air go back to the very beginning.

Winston_Smith

that so it played "On

Actually, someone also posted a YouTube link to a bunch of floppy drives playing "Phantom of the Opera" that also had side links to a whole slew of computer type machines playing all sorts of tunes by using drives, servo motors, etc. I didn't realize this was so common when I posted the Black Sabbath motors link. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

that so it played "On

Thanks for posting it. There are always new folks and it's very cool.

Winston_Smith