Coating Tin Plated Steel

We use a bezzel that is made of .015 thick tin plated carbon steel. Apparently, the plating is done as a sheet and after our stamper forms the bezzel, the edges are no longer coated and the carbon steel is exposed. The problem is that the parts rust in service after some years. In the past we have painted the parts, but that is getting expensive. I am looking for an alternative to painting. This is purely a cosmetic issue, not functional.

FYI, the bezzel is about 4.25 inches in OD and about 3.75 inches ID and the cross section is a "U" shape (picture a flat washer that is stamped parallel to its axis in the middle of the flat forming a U shaped cross section). The bezzel holds the galss into a panel meter that is used in an office environment.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Machineman

I hope this isn't too obvious, but how about tin plating the exposed edge? Or, tin plate the whole thing again after forming. Caswell has tin plating kits. I ordered the solution ti re-tin some mixing bowls for my 1936 Kitchen Aid mixer. With a really simple power supply I will be able to do the bowls by just cleaning them and pouring in the plating solution as the wear is only on the bottom. Caswell also sells brush plating supplies. It would be easy to set up a turn table to rotate the bezels while a "brush" soaked with tin soultion is applied to the surface. Caswell is really helpful and will answer all your questions. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow