Tube notcher

Question: If I have a vertical mill, do I need a tube notcher? Any of you using your mill for notching?


Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
Loading thread data ...

As long as your ceiling is high enough to clear the length of tubing clamped to the mill table a milling machine should work well. I think it would actually be better than a tube notcher if you build the righ fixture .


Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Reply to

Ivan Vegvary wrote in article ...

I use a vertically-mounted rotary table and a 1-3/4" roughing mill to notch .095" wall race car roll cage tubing on a 1 HP mill-drill.

The rotary table just makes it a bit easier to match angles. I can measure the tube location on the car with a protractor, then dial in that angle on the rotary table.

Works great for me!

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Tried both ways, found the notcher is faster most of the time, easier to set up and results not a hell of a lot different. HF notcher works well, depends more on which hole saws you buy than on the notcher.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Need, probably not. Now WANT is another think entirely :)

It depends on how much notching you intend to do.

The vertical mill with a roughing endmill or a hole saw will do a good job.

Williams Low buck tools makes an inexpensive notcher that does a reasonable job. It is much faster than the mill but the notches are not as form fitting as mill. The gaps require more filler rod to close up.

I have also used a lathe for notching tubing. I put a hole saw in the 3 jaw chuck. I made up a block that mounted on the compound in place of the tool holder. It had a hole bored the size of the tubing. The hole is located at center height of the lathe. I sawed a slit and used a pinch bolt to hold the tubing tightly. The compound is used to control the angle of the notch. I also used a protractor to scribe a bunch of lines around the circumference of the hole that holds the tubing. You can use this to "clock" a piece that has a bend in it. All you need is a scribe mark on the tubing that is in line with the plane of the bend and you can orient the part on the lathe.

Whatcha building?


Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.