Comment on Harbor Freight auto darken helmet

Hello folks

Ordered one and arrived a couple of days ago. I'm rather pleased with it. As for the LCD lens, I read a post about the darkening not being uniform. I think, after checking mine, that this a visual effect from LCD devices being darkest when viewed perpendiculary. Close left eye and the lightness is on the right; close right eye and the lightness is on the left. With both eyes open, binocularity gives the illusion of dark center and light ends. There might be also some uneveness caused by pressures in the LCD mounting. None of this seems serious to me. Anybody with a brand, top quality helmet care to compare?

Reply to
mongke

pressures in

I purchased the same helmet. Mine is almost unusable. Too bad I did not try it out before the very short warranty expired. We have several name brand , ie $220+ auto darkening helmets at work. None have this issue.

Reply to
oldjag

Reply to
william_b_noble

I love my HF (blue) mask. Works great at small TIG currents up to Bouching flare off the face of the moon.

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
mongke

Short warranty period? A year is short?

Gunner

Gunner

Been discussed before. I love mine and it seems most others who have purchased them have had a good experience. Apparently the folks with the $220 helmets on their store shelves don't like too much though.

John

Reply to
John

I am the guy who recently said that if it wasn't for HF tools, I wouldn't have no tools at all. However, I found that the HF autodarkening hood made my eyes hurt, and I returned it and got a Miller instead... Nearly everyone else in my welding class bought the HF hood and kept them, though. So maybe I had a bad one, or maybe my eyes are overly sensitive or whatever, but I in any case, I am very happy with my Miller... And I am a very happy HF customer in general, just not in this case. They did take it back with no argument or hassle at all...

Reply to
Emmo

I have a Hobart, a Miller and the HF with internal adjuster. They all have the same effect with regards to the shading. The Hobart is a bit more comfortable with my mask on under it. Seems to have a bit wider shell around the canisters. Like most of what HF sells you need to look over the item and pick the best one in the bunch. I just picked up 10 of the wall mount plastic bin kits to store bolts/nuts. Made in India but seem to be decent stuff so far. Making a wood/clear plastic cover to keep crud out of them. One set had a bad rail, went in and they gave me a complete set as the replacement.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hmm i'll have to check the warranty card. The other items from HF were

30 day warranty so I assumed it was also..
Reply to
oldjag