Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

A deep-pocketed, platinum credit card for the fuel?

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

About 50 were surplused out of FT Lewis a few months back IIRC

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

But not necessarily the other way around.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Ignoramus11295 on Tue, 09 Aug

2011 16:57:15 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Check your local state regulations. They will be able to tell you if you need a CDL and what class it would be. For a one ton pickup, I doubt you need a commercial endorsement.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Ig, anytime I ever had a question about my CDL or drivers of our company truck, I just called the DOT and the person on the other end of the line was more than happy to answer all of my questions.

Reply to
tnik

Great! Right now its legal for me to buy and operate a semi as part of my farm in MN. Main restriction is 150 mile limit from home. My son wants me to get one but I'm hearing this farmer provision is going away. So, I've been dragging my feet. I thought a CDL was far more expensive both in time and money.

I've been told to watch for a '97 or older because its pre-ABS brake and this is a huge problem on high milage tractors. Have you heard this? OTOH, I'd own the tractor for for maybe 20 years and don't want a friggin' antique. Anyway, where would i go for advice on what unit to watch for?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a

24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I seem to remember Iggy getting burned by the cops for driving a large trailer without a proper licence.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive such a rig.

Ignoramus19859

I was "almost burned". I proved to them that they misread the regulations. I am allowed to have up to 26,000 lbs GCWR on my regular class D license.

Ignoramus19859

I don't think that farmer provision is really going away, but as you note, it limits your range to in-state and near your farm.

CDL schools cost a bit, seems like $2k-$4k, and even the community college CDL classes are overpriced. As long as you have a clue, the rent a truck and take the test route works fine. The truck rental places typically offer test insurance for a bit extra where if you somehow fail the first test, you get to use the truck for retests at no extra cost. Most people won't have a problem passing the first time, but the extra comfort level of knowing you won't have to pay for a retest can make it easier to pass that first time.

I haven't heard of ABS issues on class 8 tractors, perhaps what was being referred to is emissions controls (DPF) on the newer rigs. Those DPFs are expensive to replace when they wear out, but if you get a truck with a recently replaced one it ought to last you forever in the light service you'd give it compared to normal trucking.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's questionable whether a farmer is really allowed to drive a rig that far over GCWR...

Reply to
Pete C.

I think we're talking about the same thing. You're looking for 15K rating trailer with a 1 ton truck. To my knowledge the largest rating you can get on a trailer with four tires is 12K. To get over that you have to go 5th wheel or gooseneck with double dually. You might as well get the best axles and tires for the 24K rating.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

That and I'm sure I can sell this rig, then buy a semi and have money left over.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You'll probably get better MPG too. Certainly it will handle better and be safer.

Reply to
Pete C.

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still have enough life to go another 100k miles?

Ignoramus19859

The big trucking companies turn over rigs at about 750k as a matter of MTBF management. These are million mile trucks, so if you get one of those with fresh brakes and tires you aren't likely to have a problem in the

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Ignoramus19859