Compressor pump-up time (BobH)

A data point...

My compressor pumps my 80 gallon tank, plus the compressed air hoses (150 ft plus dryer), from 0 PSI to 125 PSI, in exactly four minutes.

Reply to
Ignoramus877

Thanks, BobH

Reply to
BobH

How do you pull that initial vacuum?

And why?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I suspect he means PSIG. Some gages bother to mention it, some don't... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

But doesnt he start off with 14.6 +/- PSIG before he turns it on?

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OK, given the , we'll assume a certain amount of chain yanking. He should have 14.7 PSIA or so.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

What does your pressure gauge show when your compressor tank is open,

0 or 14.7? i
Reply to
Ignoramus26567

PSIG.

Reply to
Calif Bill

How much pressure does an open tank hold, if you say atmospheric pressure is zero?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Quincy QR-25 Model 390, 15hp motor, tank opened until guage read 0.

200 gallon tank. Exit valve closed, so this is only the tank. 20psi = 26s 40psi = 60s 60psi = 1:34 80psi = 2:10 100psi = 2:47 120psi = 3:24 125psi = 3:34
Reply to
Todd Rich

No, he starts at 0 PSIG, which is around 14.6 PSIA. His 125 PSIG also equates to about 139.6 PSIA.

Reply to
Pete C.

Gunner, stop teasing these guys!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Todd Rich wrote: (snip)

What? I didn't even get a "You suck!" out of this?

Reply to
Todd Rich

you suck. I am very envious. Not that I could use that kind of CFM.

Ignoramus20387

Zero, of course; pressure is measured as a differential, just like voltage.

Now, if you take that empty tank at zero pressure, cap it up, and fling it into space, *then* it will be at 14.7 PSI.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Then you can start the compressor in "space" and see how quickly it will pump up the tank.

Reply to
Ignoramus32252

No, it still holds 1 atm. Saying it is zero doesn't make it so.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

What's that in hectopascals?

Reply to