Air compressor rebuild update

A week or two ago, I posted questions about rebuilding a Wayne 5 HP air compressor. I have since cleaned it up and gotten it running, and I don't think it needs to be rebuilt.

It pumps the 60 gallon tank from 20 PSI to 125 PSI in about 4 minutes. Does that sound reasonable to others?

At this point, all I think it needs is a new overpressure valve since this one leaks quite a bit.

Thanks, BobH

Reply to
BobH

awesome!

Can you try from 0 to 125?

I want to time my compressor, and compare with yours. I will post my result as soon as I have the info.

Those are cheap and plentiful, about $6 at McMaster-Carr.

Reply to
Ignoramus877

Not only reasonable, but farking fantastic.

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's actually pretty darned good compared to my little 15 year old Cambell Hausfeld roll around.

Yeah, nothing on the compressor should leak just sitting. I even replace quick couplers if they leak. On the end of a hose, no big deal, but when I disconnect everything I want my compressors to hold all of the air I paid for.

I've been looking for a deal on a big tank one to put in the corner of my shop, but it hasn't come around yet. I've already got all the pipe to plumb the shop with.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks everybody! BobH

Reply to
BobH

60 gal / 7.48 = 8 cu ft.

125 psi - 20 psi = 105 psi = 7.14 atm, times volume of 8 cu ft = 57 cu ft of free air you pumped in 4 minutes, or 57 cu ft / 4 minutes = 14 CFM. And roughly 4 CFM at 100 psi is one HP.

So your compressor is cranking something like 3.5 to 4 HP.

Google "air compressor horsepower":

(Bragging rights for the #1 listing are all mine. That's Google cred.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch