Extra air storage tank

Hello group , Have gotten some good input before on things so here goes. I have an existing 60 Gallon DeVilbiss 6.5 HP compressor that goes to 125 P.S.I. I am thinking about getting another 60-100 gal tank and putting it inline with the other tank and running an air supply off of that .Now is that a feasable idea ? I would like to save the really big bucks for a much bigger unit . Ideas are welcome.

Thank you

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Cook

Hi Bernie

It isnt quite clear to me why you need additional storage of compressed air. The inline storage of compressed air will allow you to drain an additional air before the compressor begins pumping. That means that, if your 60 gallon tank drains from 125 PSI to a low enough pressure to start the compressor in 3 minutes, it will start in 6 minutes with that additional 60 gallon tank. Once the compressor starts running, and that drain is loading the air supply, it will continue to run just as it does now. So, the additional storage capacity lengthens the length of the On and Off times.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

It will allow you to draw more air before the pump has to kick on. The idea is to have a big enough air pump so that you never make it exceed a 50% duty cycle. As another responder pointed out, adding more capacity to your tank won't change the duty cycle. If you don't care about burning out your compressor and you want to do e.g. bead blasting where you will work for awhile and then do something else for awhile, it will let you work a little longer at the expense of it taking longer to repressurize.

There's no substitute for a bigger air pump, which of course requires a bigger motor, bigger circuit, bigger bucks ..

I use a 5hp 2-stage unit, and when I need more air (e.g. jackhammer) I rent a trailer-mounted one. Rarely.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

If you are doing tasks that require a lot of air for a long period of time (you just keep doing it, your compressor runs, your compressor can't keep up or catch up), the advice that "you just need a bigger compressor" is valid. If you are a HSM that wants to accomplish some tasks which exceed the scale of your current compressor, but don't drag on for a long time (so you can stop doing it and your compressor can catch up), an extra tank can be a good stopgap at a low cost. The inital drain of capacity may be enough to let you get what you need done, done. Plumbing the extra tank into your piping system near the point where you will connect the biggest air-drawing device can also help. Go over the whole system carefully for leaks, so you're wasting less of what little compressor capacity you've got.

Which happens to be a good thing. Starts are harder on the system than just running, so longer cycle times = less wear on the motor/compressor for the same air output over time.

Reply to
Ecnerwal
1) Bigger tanks , Bigger hoses and fittings , less restriction , but same size compressor ......run bigger tools but not for long periods , for short time . like a 15 CFM hammmer , or ? 2) compressor turn on and turn off pressures are much closer to each other .

------ you can make a better air compressor , using many copper tubes and plastic pistons . Pistons have a mound , that fits up into the exhaust valve to min the head space . a cam drives the pistons slowly to keep the duty cycle low to allow the copper to stay cool . about 16 cyclinders should do ... or how about 5 stages of G.M.C. 6-71 compressors ?

BTW He wanted to show he was an experienced tire patcher , so he ignited and burned the tube patching glue ... That wastes the solvent that will eat into the tube ! There's allready too little solvent .

Similar trouble in Thailand , a friend said his Acrylic glue didnt hold and it was frosty . Not enough DicloroMethane or Cloroform in the glue ... It evaporates in seconds ! It is toxic to breathe .

Any one know where to buy digi-mikes with 2 memories ? i want to flip between ABS and relative , w/o running the thimble back to close the jaws

_______________________

Jerry Martes wrote:

Reply to
werty
[...]

Jerry Martes wrote:

Reply to
werty

I have a spare tank for sale or trade in DFW if anyone is interested. Conventional upright 60-gal in excellent shape

Reply to
Rex B

I have a 80 gallon tank , horizontal, on wheels, near Bakersfield, anyone can have. It holds air..all I can say for its safety factor. I think it was a IR at one time. Free. Ive not bothered to try hyrdotesting it. as I only run 90 lbs of shop air. I decided I dont really need 300+ gallons of air ......

Gunner

Gunner

I'll take your tank. When are you going to be at your shop?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I would like to thank all the input I have gotten on the topic and I have decided that I should just plain bite the bullet and get a bigger unit that puts out more CFM'S to help overcome the demand better . Thank you all once again .

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Cook

Bernie, 6.5 HP is a lot of HP, you probably have a 600 lbs monster that puts out 20+ CFM of air... Going beyond 6.5 HP would likely require a 3 phase motor, the largest easily findable single phase motors are 7.5 HP motors (made by Baldor and sometimes sold by Ingersoll-Rand).

What is your application that requires so much air?

Tanks around 80-200 gal are not too easy and not too hard to come by, just look around your usual surplus sources and you will find one in a few months for under $100.

Ignoramus18712

My bet is it is "Sears" horse power! I have a Porter Cable 7 HP compressor that I bet is the same as his as PC is made by De Vilbis. My compressor is closer to a 3 HP model in amp draw and CFM output. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Another alternative is a "second" compressor the same size. Use one for normal use, both for heavy use.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca