Industrial Air Machine Compressor problem

Hello All,

I have an Industrial Air Machine unit that is beginning to fail. It is taking about five times as long to recover as it did just a few weeks ago. The specifications are:

5 HP 230V 200 PSI 2 stage 60 gal tank 18 to 20 years old

Everything sounds good, just not producing much air.

My questions are:

Is it probable that the compressor needs rebuilding?

And if so, are there rebuild kits available or does one have to purchase individual parts?

Are there instruction manuals available that would assist in performing the task?

What source(s) would you suggest for the parts needed?

Any suggestions or information offered would be appreciated.

Ted

Reply to
bear

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:48:11 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm, bear quickly quoth:

As Tawm was mentioning earlier this week, carbon does build up on the reeds until it defeats the compressor. Pop the heads and see what you have. Reed valves crack, too. It could be a chunk of carbon holding the reed open, damaged rings, hole in the piston, etc.

With no sound change, it's likely carbon. Then again, I haven't had the head off a compressor in 30 years. ;)

-- Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. --Chinese Proverb ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll second Larry's diagnosis. The valves are probably mucked up. They might be accessibly without pulling the head. They might be reed valves or spring-loaded disk valves. You'll see. Check the oil.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sometimes it can be something simple and easy to fix. Like the connection from the cylinder to the unloader being loose and leaking, which is hard to hear when it is running.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Check the valves. Where I used ot work, monitoring intercooler pressure was a tip off that the valves between stage one and two had failed.

I'm thinking this is sudden. Sudden points to valving.

Wes

Wes