Need air compressor advice

I'm about to spring for a new air compressor, and so far I find the Campbell Hausfeld 4 cylinder, 80 gallon "Quadzilla" the best deal for price and warranty. It's hard to find an all cast iron unit with 3 year warranty for less than $15-1700, however, I found this one for $995, and before I buy it, I wanted to get the list opinion on CH compressors, and this model in particular, if anyone has one or has any advice. Thanks! Ronnie Lyons Meridian, Idaho

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

How about a used Quincy if you can find one...it will outlive your grandchildren. Point taken, the CH is just fine, maintain it!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I would stay completely away from Campbell Hausfeld. I suggest you buy either Ingersoll-Rand or Quincy. CH makes "homeowner grade" compressors - the other guys make industrial grade. And I believe there is a huge difference in all respects.

If you don't believe me, I suggest you try to call Campbell Hausfeld and get a tech guy on the phone and ask him something sort of difficult. I did this with my Quincy, and the people at Quincy were fabulous. Then call your local air compressor rebuilders and ask them if they stock Quincy parts and then ask them if they stock Campbell Hausfeld parts.

I see tons of huge compressors going cheap. You just have to learn to keep your eyes open.

Grant Erw> I'm about to spring for a new air compressor, and so far I find the

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I agree with Grant 100%. For the $995 you're planning on spending you'd be better off with an Ingersoll-Rand.

I bought an Ingersoll-Rand T30 (5 HP 14.7 CFM) for just a hair more than $1000 delivered to my home several years ago and have never regretted it. Ingersoll-Rand is well known for industrial quality air compressors.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Can you tell me what to watch out for, what I do and don't want, etc? The CH I'm looking at is an all cast compressor, 7.5HP, steel tank.

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

I agree, Campbell Hausfeld is the pits. That said, good compressors can be real pricey to rebuild, so buying a new 5 HP IR as opposed to a bigger used one might be cost effective.

Reply to
ATP

This is true. I have a 1968-vintage Quincy that I bought at a scrapyard. All I did was fix the broken gauges, safety relief and changed the air filters and oil.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You are being bewitched by advertising. You do want a company which provides excellent service support. You do want available parts. I believe I already mentioned this. I even already suggested how with minimal effort on your part you can determine for yourself if CH meets these requirements.

I also suggest an ASME-certified tank, by the way. It's nice when the switch is a beefy Square D mag switch, too, like on my Quincy.

I don't actually know of my own personal experience that the compressor you are considering isn't a wonderful deal. I am speaking generally, from a few decades of experience. I know of at least 3 Quincy air pumps made in the

1960s which are still going strong - of course, 2 of them needed a top end rebuild, but that wasn't too hard since all of their models for all time are still supported 100% with parts and manuals.

Good luck!

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

My Quincy is circa 1966.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Ooooo, you got a NEW one! Let me know if you ever need parts. I've bought a bunch of rebuild kits over the years only to use 1 or 2 parts. Almost always, the valve bodies get carboned-up. A quick wire brushing and make air.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yup..I pull the cages once a year, change the oil, etc, and wire brush the valves. I can tell when its due, as I hear a smidgen of hiss at rest. Will drain the tank in about 6 hours with it turned off.

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Check the current draw on the motor too. I was browsing compressors at Princess Auto, and a 7.5 hp name brand (may have been CH) had 2/3 the max current draw compared their house brand 5 hp. I am very impressed with the Princess Auto house brand compressors, they strike me as put together by people who haven't figured out bulls**t advertising, but have figured out working tools. I think they are only in Canada, though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

There were comments about old air compressors and the original post was buying new. If you come across an old cast iron unit in good condition at a good price get it. But sooner or later they all end up in the scrap yard. As far as new goes, look for a slow turner. There are a lot of cheater models out there made buy most companies.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick

I have a CH that works it's butt off. Go for it. They have good support, plus (not that I have needed any) you can get most parts on-line.

Price/Quality for CFM can't be beat. Unless you risk a HF compressor...

Reply to
TheMan

I second that. I had a less technical question, and the CH tech support folks failed me outright. I called up asking if they sold different size hex bushings for the inspection ports. I wanted a 2"x1" to replace the stock 2"x3/4". Response: "A what? I don't think we have any." No amount of explanation on my part was getting this guy any closer to having a clue what I was talking about.

-Adam adam at airraidsirens dot com

Reply to
Adam Smith