Need air compressor advice

I've been using a small airbrush air compressor for several years - Just a basic model with no tank (i.e. the motor runs constantly). I'm now in the market for a larger air compressor that I can use with a nail gun, and I figured it would be great if I could also use it for airbrushing. First of all, can these larger air compressors be used for an airbrush or do I need to stick with a "hobby" air compressor? Second, if I can use a bigger one, can someone recommend a particular model? I don't want a giant one. The DeWalt D55155 has been recommended by a few people, and I also saw a Porter-Cable model that was similar. These are meant to be portable, which would be handy. I've also seen some "pancake" compressors that seemed reasonably priced. I should mention that price will be a big factor. I don't want to spend a fortune. Thanks.

Reply to
Aviday Ogelvay

FWIW I hit a SEARS a couple of years ago and bought a 4 gallon tank type with pressure gauges and valves and a water trap on a sale weekend. One gauge showed and controlled the pressure in the tank and the other controlled the output. Nice setup. I bought a couple of quick connect fittings and I was in business. I can connect my airbrush or go for something bigger.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have a DeVilbliss 3 gallon tank, 135 max pressure, 90 psi working temprature. Works just fine, is portable, and is very loud !! I now put it in the next room with 25+ feet of airhose, and no problem. For around $100 you can get basically the same thing from any of the brands you mentioned above. Just make sure the unit has a tank pressure regulator gauge (which I'm sure they all do) and match it's setting to your airbrush pressure gauge/moisture trap, so you dont blow that unit. I use a Badger, and from it, the airhose is the MM Aztek hose (hey, I like the Aztek) But you will NEED some form of inline moisture trap and pressure regulator. I traded a computer I built to my brother for the DeVilbliss.........

On a 1/48 scale F 16, I could get most of say the underside color sprayed before the compressor kicked in, then finish the rest.

Reply to
AM

I use a Porter-Cable with a15 gallon air tank for airbrushing and other work. The brand really isn't a big deal. Most aircompressors are made be DeVilbiss (I have a friend that has a Craftsman also made by DeVilbiss). If you are going to use it for other tasks besides hobby work my only suggestion is get one bigger/more powerful than you think you need. Because you'll always need more CFM etc. than you expect.

Scott Lamprich

Reply to
SJL

Lots of good advice there. The only thing I can add is see if you can have it demonstrated so it's not intolerably loud. Also make sure you get one that isn't going to throw oil into the line. Older models and those designed for airtools sometimes have that feature for lubrication. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper