which air compressor?

I'm looking for a small (20-30 gal) garage air compressor. I want to run small air tools (grinder, maybe sprayer) and a plasma cutter, not at the same time. I want something quiet and can spend a few bucks to get a machine with reduced noise.

So far, the candidates are the Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate:

this:
SM-C2023 in the "SM - Portable Wheel Mounted ELECTRIC MOTOR DRIVEN" section

I like the fact that the IR is vertical, and will eat less floor space, but I don't get to hear it before I order and am a bit nervous about shipping damage (top heavy things often don't ship well). Lastly, even though IR has a great reputation, I wonder if their cheaper machines are simply rebrands (like so many companies do to fill out their low end offerings.)

I had never heard of Ciasons, but this brand is sold in a local tool store, so I don't have to order it. The wheelbarrow style is not preferred, but I can probably make room for it.

Does anyone have any sage advice for this decision?

Reply to
lens

Oil lubricated pump. Get some.

They fail to identify oil lubricated or oilless for most models. After some very disappointing experiences with a Campbell Hausfeld [whatever] compressor from Wally-Mart, I will never advise anyone to buy an oilless model.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Might want to listen to a DW55155, its about 3 db quieter than most and it can almost be crried to a jobsite. Its an oil lubed compressor.

Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
Howard

Does anyone have any sage advice for this decision?>

lens

The IR in a heartbeat. It will probably ship horizontal. The only thing that I looked for that was not in the specs is it available in

220V. This would be important to me.

Why not call and talk to them about your concerns? Many times a phone call to the right person will yield additional information and suggestion for your satisfaction. You will want to talk to a "Customer Engineer". Be direct but not blunt. They do enjoy a good reputation and certainly work on keeping it good. I am sure they have a Web site which should yield any contact information.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I dug around and found the USA contacts.

I was surprised to find that IR is part of a large conglomerate. With any number or USA recognized names listed on their corporate web site.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

The IR is better, of course, but if you spend time to look for a used industrial model, you can find something very nice for not too much money.

I would try hard to find a 3 HP model, the difference is important when it comes to many tools (air hammers, blow guns, etc) where being able to run them continuously is important. I have a honest 3 HP compressor, and can run basically any tool nonstop, including air hammers and blow guns. When that is going on, my compressor runs most of the time, leading me to believe that a 2 HP model would not be adequate.

Did I mention that HF 2 hp pancake compressors are crap?

Ignoramus27404

I second this emphatically.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

I third that insistently.

Ignoramus27404

I have one and wish I didn't.

Reply to
Jeff Burke

I had one and am glad that I no longer do.

Ignoramus25686

I had a chance to get a new one for a song that was returned to the store after a day, but passed on it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Congratulations!

Ignoramus25686

Both of those are too small for your needs IMO. They'll be running pretty much continuously to power even a die grinder. If you have 230V available, and can live without the wheels, then you can get a compact compressor with a larger pump. Examples

?Itemnumber=34884 These V twin pumps seem to be quieter than equivalent size parallel twins, perhaps because of the dual air intake filters.

Floor space won't be much less than a 60 gallon model though.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

I work in a shop where a particular machine must have its own air supply. The boss got one of thosse little Porter Cable pancake tank oilless jobs and it really sux to work around it. Must be over 90 db and it goes about 6 hours a day. I can't wait til it croaks.

Reply to
daniel peterman

I looked at the Northern tool site and for an extra $10 you can get a

3hp 60gal compressor with double the cfm. It may not be as portable but you can run a hose a fair way with it.

It will not have to run as often and with 230v will not stress you electrical system as much.

lens wrote:

Reply to
James P Crombie

I agree with you. My compressor is similar.

Ignoramus25686

I got to rebuild an oiless used in a small shop. Complete pile of junk, and HORRIBLY noisy. After two passes through my shop, I talked the owner into a decent Speedair that just perks along nicely.

OK, I do have an oiless > >

Reply to
RoyJ